s04 vs. Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No particular reason, I use a lot of s04 but have never used nottingham. I was thinking about using some just to try. BUT I really like my ESB with s04

I have used a lot of s04 it will produce some strange flavors if it ferments warm. try to keep the temp in the low 60s and you will be very happy with it.

I have never used S04 before but I have used several yeasts.

Nottingham flocculates very well but but the yeast cake stays very puffy and soft and is easy to disturb.

This is in comparison to yeast cakes like wyeast 1272 or montrechet that are more solid and harder to disturb.

Nottingham is an easy to use and strong yeast that leaves mild fruity esters and ferments relatively dry. While I don't use it anymore I have had a lot of success in the past.

my $0.02

I like both! Nottingham is a bit more neutral.

I find S04 can leave a strange cake, more like pebbles that disturb easily.

Thundercougarfalconbird said:
I prefer Nottingham. I always have floaties with sf04.

That's true! Got a bit stout in primary with them. It's the cake of another beer that had them as well.

Nottingham is apparently the worlds best selling dry yeast.

That's true! Got a bit stout in primary with them. It's the cake of another beer that had them as well.

Nottingham is apparently the worlds best selling dry yeast.

Yes but I suspect no longer since the price has *trippled* within the last year!! Once I use up my stash I'll probably go back to liquid and harvesting even though it is a pain.

This is also true!

I wonder if the guy who used to work their that told me that was going on revenue or volume? I think maybe volume, I doubt the 500g packets breweries use will have changed much in price.

I still use it as I found somewhere that was selling it in new packaging for old price so stocked up. Now I work at a brewery that primarily uses wlp001 so I can grab some of that when needs be....

...we've also got 40kg citra stashed. Muhahahaha.

Is S04 the same as 002 or 007? I've seen a lot of posts claiming both.

Cheers
T

Slightly late in my response to this but I have a question after...

SO4 is just like 007 - it attenuates up to 80%, just like 007 - a dry English ale yeast. I previously thought the attenuation was closer to 75% but in checking my notes, I have had AA's around 80%.

For my question... what is the alcohol tolerance of SO4?

I did a 1.110 strong ale on Wednesday. 4.8 gallons of wort and 2 very-well rehydrated packets of S04. 4 days later and it is now at 1.029 which is 10.5% ABV. It still tastes a little under-attenuated as it should with an AA of only 70%. Over 11% and under 1.025 would probably be more appropriate. And, given that it is pretty early and still bubbling, it might get there if it can tolerate the ABV. I fermented at wort temp of 65 for 2 days, 67 for 2 days and now increased the temp to 69 where it will sit for 2-4 weeks, depending on taste. I'm hopeful it will fully attenuate.

But, does anyone have experience with SO4 and ABV over 11%?

Back