?'s on wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yummybeer

Reaction score
i've been playing around with the idea of make my own wine. problem is the wife and i don't go through enough wine to make a 5 gallon batch worth it. i've seen articles about making 3 gallon batches and even 1 gallon batches of fruit wine.
i think the 1 gallon of fruit wine batches might be right up my alley. the question is how can i find ingredients to make just 1 gallon of fruit wine? is there such a thing as an ingredient kit for a 1 gallon batch, or do i have to buy each ingredient seperately?
any advice would be appriciated! :D

I would go with the five gallon kit anyway. It will keep, and most likely improve with a few years aging. Its pretty much the same labor to make five gallons versus three and you will probably be really happy to have had enough that some aged for a few years or more.

And who knows, if its wine that you made you'll probably drink more of it.

I have several one gallon fruit wine recipes posted- take a look and see if there is anything that appeals to you.

You never need to make more wine than you want- I do one gallon batches all the time. Everything from Joe's Ancient Orange Mead to blackberry wine- they are all one gallon batches.

Yopper, about to try your Orange Meade recipe..all I need to buy is the orange...Think I will rack to secondary tho as in reading the posts seems to be a lot of sediment at bottling time.

Yopper, about to try your Orange Meade recipe..all I need to buy is the orange...Think I will rack to secondary tho as in reading the posts seems to be a lot of sediment at bottling time.

That one's not my recipe- it belongs to Joe Mattioli. I just posted it, word for word. I like it alot- but it's true that bread yeast makes superfine lees that are easily stirred up, so a secondary is not a bad idea.

You never need to make more wine than you want-

Is having too much wine a possibility? :p

Mine is always disappearing! They make great holiday gifts and thank you's for neighbors and family members. The few that you can hold on to only get better with age.

Start off with a one gallon if you want... but you will be to the dark side soon enough :rockin:

I like to do 1 gal batches. 1 gal jugs are somewhat easy to come by if you ask a restaurants or bars that serve wine by the glass, and as for a primary a stainless steel cooking pots work well with a little weight on the lid. Its almost a better way to try a new recipe before you make a bunch of stuff you dont like. But like myself I feel you will find yourself with a ton of 6 Gallon carboys chuggin along before you know it!

Gallon jugs are getting harder to come by easily. Most of the wine is put into 3 L jugs and that is shy of a gallon.

the thought has also crossed my mind- the fruit puree from the company "oregon fruit" that is used for adding fruit flavor to beer. i'm wondering if this fruit puree from this company may be an option to making fruit wine? if so, what's the best way to go about using this to make wine?

the thought has also crossed my mind- the fruit puree from the company "oregon fruit" that is used for adding fruit flavor to beer. i'm wondering if this fruit puree from this company may be an option to making fruit wine? if so, what's the best way to go about using this to make wine?

Yes, that works well. There is also another canned fruit I see all the time in homebrew stores, called Vinter's Harvest or something like that.

Jack Keller has recipes for canned fruit on his site, so I'd start there. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp Look on the left, below the recipe, for a list of what he's got.

You can make wine out of anything- frozen fruit, carrots, canned fruit, fresh fruit, etc. Today, I started a wine out of canned cranberry sauce! It was on sale at a "liquidator's" store- 6 pounds for $3. So I'm making 2 gallons of wine out of it! Just make sure there are no preservatives listed on the container- particularly sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate.

Check out the recipes I have posted- I use Welch's juice for one, apple juice for another, etc.

The problem with 1-gallon batches is by the time it starts to grow on you, the batch is gone! I prefer 5 or 6 gallon batches. Then you can enjoy a bottle or two while letting the rest of it age gracefully.

Latest posts

Back