S. Jersey new guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellis007

Reaction score
Just thought I'd say hey and introduce myself. I've been reading this forum for about 6 weeks and just started with a Mr. Beer kit. I just tasted my first brew and was very pleased and excited! I just had to tell someone Finally after years of thinking about it, I stopped into my local Homebrew store and picked up a Mr. Beer kit. I wanted to make sure I was going to enjoy what I brewed so after reading some advice on this forum, I purchased some fresh yeast(Safale US-05) and since I prefer some hoppiness I picked up some Cascade hops. I strayed from the directions a bit and during the booster boil I steeped some crushed orange peel. I then added the LME and brought it to a boil for 15 mins. During that time I added the hops. I did a quick cool and pitched at about 75 degrees. Fermented in primary for 15 days and then bottled. I did use the table sugar and bottle primed. I conditioned for 2 weeks at about 68-70 degrees and decided to pop one bottle in the fridge after that for 5 days. I just opened and poured a glass and damn! It turned out great! I can taste a hint of the orange and get a nice hop finish. I can only imagine after a couple more weeks of conditioning how nice it will be. Plenty of carbonation, really nice color and head...I am thrilled with the results. I've already ordered Northern's deluxe 5 gal kit with primary, secondary glass carboys and bottling bucket. Picked up a 20 quart kettle today, a hydrometer and some bottles and other supplies from the local brew store. Can't wait to start my 2nd batch. It will be an Irish Red Ale with some grain steeping. I guess it's safe to say, I'm hooked! Great advice here and I look forward to spending a good bit of time here.

Back