S-23 Time and Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just adding a data point here since I tasted my new Pilsner today: Pitched 0.6g/L of S-23 at 60F, and raised to 63F after 5 days. Both aroma and flavor is pear cider. I have fermented S-23 cleanly before, but that beer did age for quite some time. I will probably need to let this one sit another month or two. I realize my pitching rate is low and that likely contributed. I just didn't realize how estery S-23 could be until now. :eek:
Recent similar experience. Pitched s23 around 58 fermented around 60-62 for 7 days then up to 67 for 5 days. When sampling at keging it was a fruit basket. It anticipated dumping it but decided to give a little time. 5 weeks later it wasn’t bad still had a very slight fruit taste I could sometimes detect & sometimes not. Lesson learned I guess but I didn’t have to dump it I could tolerate it ok. It actually isn’t bad just not what I was after.

I got the best results pitching at 12C/54F and raising to 14C/57F. I may go up to 63 or even 65F for a D-rest but not earlier that after day 10 when the fermentation is almost complete.
This is good to hear. I brewed a Marzen and pitched it onto the S-23 yeast cake from the Pilsner. Fermented at 54F and raised to 60F after 5 days. It will be interesting to see if it comes out significantly cleaner.

Well, be aware it won't be as clean as, f. ex., M76 or Diamond, even if fermented cool.
That's why I use S-23 only in those styles where a slight ester whiff is expected to be present (in Austrian, Polish and Bohemian Lagers, never in German or Scandinavian).
At those temperatures that you refer I was getting beers very pleasant and spot on the style (actually, the Wiener Lager I made last year with S-23 turned out the best one of circa 270 batches I've ever brewed). A bit of fruity esters was obviously present but not excessive, intrusive or overwhelming.
For Märzen, me personally would choose a Bavarian, not a Bohemian strain, as historicaly Märzen is, so to speak, a "Bavarian beer with an Austro-Hungarian grist", unlike the rest of Bavarian beers, that were either dark (Dunkel) or pale (Helles). Anyway, S-23 is a great choise for the style as well.

Recap on my data points now that the Marzen is drinkable:
* Pilsner pitched with 0.6g/L of S-23 at 60F. Raised to 63F after 5 days = Pear cider in both aroma and flavor.
* Marzen pitched onto the Pilsner's yeast cake at 54F. Raised to 60F after 5 days = Mostly clean. Very subtle strawberry/cherry flavor that I can only really detect when the carbonation is allowed to go flat, but its possible this was a factor from the Munich malt (100% of the grist). No fruitiness in aroma.

In summary: Pitch a lot of healthy yeast and ferment in the low to mid 50s unless you want lots of fruitiness with S-23.

I enjoyed my S-23 Czech Dark this evening on its own. Turns out that last month when I did a side by side tasting vs. WLP833, I much preferred the S-23. I'll do another side by side one of these days in the next few weeks now that the WLP833 has had more time to mellow out (I think it was a little sulfury last time).

Back