rye? whats it do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

actech

Reaction score
What does rye do to a beer recipe? Is it something to be added to an existing or should you create one around the rye. Got a couple pounds so just wondering.

Rye simply has its own flavor. Some people describe it as spicy. I'd look for a recipe that was designed around the rye rather than just adding it to the recipe you have.

Rye simply has its own flavor. Some people describe it as spicy. I'd look for a recipe that was designed around the rye rather than just adding it to the recipe you have.

Exactly. I'd absolutely agree with the "spicy" description. I'd say that it's got a bite to it...and I personally don't like it very much. But to each their own, which is the great thing about homebrew!

mmmmm Rye. I like a good Rye IPA. Use about 20% rye and hop with Chinook and Centennial. Use Denny's Favorite WY 1450. For some reason it works great with rye.

One of my faves.

Just remember to use some rice hulls in the mash. Rye can get pretty sticky.

A black IPA with some Rye would be awesome. That is what I would do personally. +1 on the 'spicy' reference. It is attention getting spice/heat I taste when I drink an ale with rye.

What does rye do to a beer recipe? Is it something to be added to an existing or should you create one around the rye. Got a couple pounds so just wondering.

The rye will definitely stand out. Picking the right hops for the beer will help accent the spicy flavor in just the right way. I've made Denny's Rye IPA and it uses Columbus and Mt. Hood which is an excellent recipe.

The folks above obviously like rye, but if you don't want that spicy bite in your beer, then I'd suggest you avoid it.

You might want to find a 22 oz rye IPA and give it a whirl to see if you like it. If so, let 'er rip! If not, then at least you know you won't "ruin" a bath by brewing with it!

Rye beers are great. I brewed a 10% rye dipa a few months back that has become one of my favorite brews to date. That spicy flavor is just delicious! To me, rye flavor is similar to the flavor of dr. Pepper

2X on finding good rye IPA... Like a Green Flash Warrior! the beer is so balanced...9% ABV and you'll never know it until it's too late...

2X on finding good rye IPA... Like a Green Flash Warrior! the beer is so balanced...9% ABV and you'll never know it until it's too late...

Road Warrior is :rockin:

I also enjoy Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger...yum.

Just bottled a rye APA using Briess's rye malt extract and a healthy helping of Nelson Sauvin. Turned out great.

Rye adds a little bit of spiciness that can be accentuated more with certain hops or spices. It doesn't add too much flavor, though. Mostly what it contributes is body.

Here is an excellent rye recipe. This is one of the year-round beers I do.

Achilles
101 IBU
1.084 OG
9% ABV
12 gallons

15 lbs 2 row
10 lbs rye
10 lbs vienna

Any bittering hop
6 oz Galaxy @ 2 minutes
6 oz Equinox dry hop 7 days

US-05 yeast

Rye IPA or APA is delicious.

I'm not a liquor drinker, but I do enjoy "the good stuff." Templeton Rye.

Rye definitely adds what I would describe as a crisp, spicy profile that helps make the flavor of the right hops stand out even more. Leinenkugel's has a Kolsch style beer with rye called Canoe Paddler that I really like. Add a bit of rye to a small batch recipe, say 2 or 3 gallons, and see if you like the way it turns out. If you do, then scale up to a full batch and let 'er rip. :mug:

I think rye not only ads a spice note to the flavor but also gives a beer a totally different mouth feel. I've heard it described as a slick feel, but don't know if I would describe it that way. I love it! :D

when used properly, rye will do your dishes for you and put away your folded laundry!

Teach me how to use rye properly. I have 30 acres of it ready to harvest and I have a lot of dishes that need washed. Is there a special technique to use to get it to do the laundry? By the time I get done with harvest I will have lots of clothes that need washed too.:D:mug:

I like a little rye in most of my recipes over wheat.

I recently made Citra Rye Pale Ale using 20% rye, that rye smell and character was really present at first legging but it settled out over the course of two weeks leaving only subtle traces of it.

Rye malt and rye flake give different effects, I feel the flake contributes more rye character and head retention while rye malt adds more gravity points in addition to medium character attributes.

In my opinion, you see a ton of "rye" recipes with a pound or so of rye malt. This is in fact lame, if you want to call a beer a rye, the go big on it and deliver what is promised in the description of it... Rye, lots of it.

I brewed a rye pale ale this spring with some experimental hops and it definitely added a spiciness to the beer. Complimented the hops perfectly. I saw above that it's spiciness is almost like a black pepper kind of spiciness, and I would agree with that. Not the flavor, but the perception and mouthfeel.

you must tell the rye that it's doing a great job and that you're proud of its' hard work while it's in the mash. then tell the rye that you've been so overwhelmed with housework lately and that you could use a hand with the dishes and putting away laundry. rye is inherently bad at folding, but great at putting away. tell the rye that it will be a team effort and you have faith in its' abilities as a grain.

Everyone is talking about IPA's APA'a as if that's the only styles it can be used in.
I've been brewing Saisons w/ Rye a bit this spring/summer and it is IMO a better style for it.
I'm not a fan of most rye IPA's I've tried,most aren't done that well. Using a moderately low % in a Saisons works quite well,it gives the beer a little spice kick (a bit of a pepper accent as someone mentioned) and also lends itself to a perceived dryness.
I think that the dryness it lends to a beer is what has been left out of the previous posts and probably why I never liked it in an IPA.

Below is one of the recipes I've done recently,simple as could be and it's a perfect time of year to do saisons as the yeast loves the heat.

6.00 gallons
90 min boil

I used Wyeast 3762 a seasonal that is actually out again right now,it's a beast and real easy to work with

11 lbs Pilsner (Weyermann) 83.0 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Rye Malt 13.2 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine 3.8 %
60 min Styrian Goldings 14 ibu's
20 min Styrian Goldings 10 ibu's
5 min Styrian Goldings 4 ibu's

I've also done a similar version w/ a brett strain and Opal and Amarillo hops that is coming along quite nice .

There are also some some good German Styles that use or focus on rye.
Roggenbeir as well as the Finnish Sahti

Road Warrior is :rockin:

I also enjoy Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger...yum.

Just bottled a rye APA using Briess's rye malt extract and a healthy helping of Nelson Sauvin. Turned out great.

I really enjoyed Rye of the Tiger- that's a great one.

I like rye IPAs, and the first one I ever tried was Hop Rod Rye (by Bear Republic), I think.

I think the strong hops flavor goes so well with the spicy rye flavor and the sort of thick/viscous mouthfeel.

For me, the "sweet spot" in using rye is about 20-25%. Any more than that, and the beer tastes weird and very thick. Any less than about 20%, and it's not very prominent.

For me, the "sweet spot" in using rye is about 20-25%. Any more than that, and the beer tastes weird and very thick. Any less than about 20%, and it's not very prominent.

How much of a factor are the hops it's going up against ? Would it depend on the style? 20-25% in a IPA at 65- 75 IBU would be similar to 13% in a 28 IBU Saison ? For me it added a nice slightly spicy / dry contribution without going overboard.

This thread has inspired me to make another batch of my Rye DIPA. The one I just drank was freaking delicious and I only have about two liters left so ill be brewing this one again this weekend.

Back