Rye ipa recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octo

Reaction score
looking for some input on a rye ipa recipe I just threw together.

8 lb 2 row
2 lb rye malt
1 lb vienna
1/2 lb crystal 60

Hop schedule:
1 oz nugget @ 60
1 oz citra @ 10
1 oz legacy @ 10
1 oz nugget @ 5
2 oz legacy @ 1
1 oz nugget @ 1
1 oz citra @ dry hop (7 days)
1 oz legacy @ dry hop (7 days)
.5 oz galena @ dry hop (7 days)

S-05 yeast.

Looking for alot of black currant and fruit in this one to work along with the spice from the rye. OG 1.057 IBU: 78

Seems like a lot of aroma hop additions between the late boil and dry hopping, I'd drop your 5 minute and 1 minute additions and just rely on the dry hop. Maybe move your 10 minute back to 15 to get a little more in the flavor sweet spot too.

Malt bill looks pretty good.

what about bumping the 10 minute additions to 15?

Haha, I actually would go the opposite way from greatschmaltez- lots and lots of late hops and I love 15/10/5/0 hopping for IPAs.

I am not a fan of galena or nugget in late hopping, though- they don't have great flavor and aroma to me. I like the citra and maybe legacy, though.

I like the recipe. I'll agree with yoop about the late nugget -- not a fan. I like a little galena as a late hop, but these days I find it to be a bit coarse as a dry hop addition. Lastly, I dry hop my pale ales with 2 oz of pellet hops -- IPAs and double IPAs get 4-5 oz. I'd consider upping the dry hops on this one.

What do you guys not like about nugget/ galena as a late hop specifically? Is it too dominating? I was hoping the galena and legacy would work well together to provide a black currant-y flavor and the citra would add more tropical flavor/ aroma.
Also, will this amount of c60 provide enough sweetness to balance the large amount of hops?

Yooper said:
Haha, I actually would go the opposite way from greatschmaltez- lots and lots of late hops and I love 15/10/5/0 hopping for IPAs.

I just realized that this was a recipe for a rye IPA and not a rye pale ale... Yeah, a more intense late hop addition makes sense. Normally I like to hop from 25 to 10 for flavor, then dry hop for aroma strictly. Gotten great results with that. I am like Yooper in that I will add a lot of late hop additions and dry hop with 2 to 3 oz of hops

Yooper said:
Haha, I actually would go the opposite way from greatschmaltez- lots and lots of late hops and I love 15/10/5/0 hopping for IPA

I'm sorry, just realized this was a rye IPA, not a rye pale ale. Yeah more hop additions make sense. I normally focus my flavor additions between 25 and 10 minutes left. Then I'll dry hop with about 2 or 3 ounces for aroma. Works real well. I don't necessarily understand the point of dry hopping and doing a 0 or 1 minute addition.

I obviously don't know how to work the HBT iPhone app either so my credibility is slipping, sorry for the double... I mean triple post

what about bumping citra and legacy from 10 to 15 and the 1 minutes to 5 minutes and just forgoing the 1 minute addition and the 5 minute nugget since I'm dry hopping with 3 ounces?

That should work fine. If the beer seems to be lacking hop flavor, you could bump both additions back 5 more minutes to 10 and 20, but your schedule is fine. The only other thing you may want to check is your BU:GU ratio. Make sure that's what you want, you got a lot of hops in this one. Goodluck!

Back