Rye IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseRYC

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to convert a commercial recipe from a local brewery into a 10 gal all grain batch. I received the following information about the recipe:

‎62% two row
10% rye malt
10% flaked rye
10% carabrown
5% Munich 10L
2% white wheat
1% de-bittered black (to get us to 17 SRM; couldn't get the choco-wheat...)

Hops:
1st wort Citra
90 min. Magnum
30 min Apollo
15 min glacier/sorachi ace
Whirlpool glacier/sorachi ace
Hop back citra/Apollo/sorachi
Dry hop citra

45-50 IBU in the 1st wort and boiling hop, and another 10-12 IBU from all the late hop. OG 17 IBU 76, Color 26 est fg-4.25 est abv 6.6%

I'm not sure how to come up with the amounts for grains and hops in order to meet the specifications. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Jesse Kortepeter

Ha! I've had this before and believe me there is plenty of rye. Especially considering the spiceiness it gets from the hops. It's fine. :D

About 20% rye makes a very good rye PA.

Do you have any brewing software? If you don't, then get some. Most of them come with a 30 day free trial. But it is one of the best investments a brewer can make.

Just plug in the ingredients and the software will give you the percentages. some will even let you build the gain bil by percentage.

It also calculates the IBU's for hop additions.

Yes, I have Brewtarget. However, I dont know how to go from the %'s to actual amounts if grain to use.

Latest posts

Back