Rye IPA Extract recipe - comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamtroxel

Reaction score
Recipe

My Rye IPA (light)

7.00# LME

1.00# Crystal 40
0.50# Caramunich I
1.00# Crystal Rye
0.25 Flaked Rye

1tsp Gypsum Pre LME
Boil Schedule

Boil 5.5 Gallons
1 oz Chinook @60 min
.5 Chinook @40
.5 Willamette @40
.5 Chinook @20
.5 Willamette @20
1.0 Centennial @5

Whirlfloc @ 15
Yeast Nutrients @ 15

Add water to bring to 5 gallons @10

---
Wyeast 1056

--
Dry hop 7 days @ 60 degree F
1.0 Centennial

2.5 lb of crystal seems really high. I also think the flaked rye will need some help converting since all you have is crystal malt. I would trade the lb of crystal 40 for a lb of 2 row (up the flake to half lb for more rye taste). Steep/mash for an hour and you are golden.
for hops, i would move your 40 min to 10 min. 40 will mostly just bitter, 20 min or less adds aroma/flavor. 60, 20, 10 and 5 seems like a good schedule.
My .02

Translate Denny Conn's RyeIPA into extract. It was awesome (the all grain was). The yeast (Denny's Favorite) is kinda fun too. Took a while to clear up but was just crystal clear after that.

unless thats rye extract, that isn't enough rye to detect, bump it up at least to 1.5lbs. I'd move those 40min hop adds towards the end of the boil too, they're kinda a waste there (very minimal flavor/aroma, underutilized bitterness)

+1 to skye, way too much crystal, esp when using extract as a base.

You can probably move up some of your hops at the 40 minute mark to get better flavor out of them. Especialyl the Williamette.

I just brewed a rye with Chinook at center stage. I have high hopes.

You can do a pound of rye malt replacing the crystal 40 or at least most of it.Then youd have a partial mash,otherwise NB has Rye Extract Malt. I think it would still be a great beer by just dropping all or most of the crystal 40 or splitting all of the crystal malts between 1.5-2#

Back