Rye APA recipe looking for input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassballboy

Reaction score
5 gallon partial mash
37 IBU
8.4 SRM
5.2%

4lb extra light DME
1.5lb 2 row
1.5lb Rye
0.5 victory malt
0.5 60L

1oz Ahtanum 60 min
0.5oz Citra 30 min
0.5oz Columbus 15 min

Thoughts? Suggestions?

5 gallon partial mash
37 IBU
8.4 SRM
5.2%

4lb extra light DME
1.5lb 2 row
1.5lb Rye
0.5 victory malt
0.5 60L

1oz Ahtanum 60 min
0.5oz Citra 30 min
0.5oz Columbus 15 min

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Looks good to me. Only suggestion is to possibly bump up the rye malt depending on how strong you want it to be. I used 20% Rye in my Pale Ale and it wasn't over powering.

Cool, this is about 20% as well, I considered making it 2lb, but I wasn't sure if the spiciness would be overpowering.

I also choose citrusy hops, not sure how those pair with rye but I'm curious to find out!

Should be good to go. I brewed mine with chinook, centennial, and cascade and it was good. Wish the rye was a bit more up front though, but it was balanced so I can't complain.

I just transferred this to the secondary, I didn't detect any hop aroma. I'm strongly considering dry hopping this ale. What hops would be good?

I'm leaning towards 1oz of glacier.

I just transferred this to the secondary, I didn't detect any hop aroma. I'm strongly considering dry hopping this ale. What hops would be good?

I'm leaning towards 1oz of glacier.

I didn't see the original recipe until just now, but changing the hopping would have made a nice hops flavor and aroma, like this:
.5oz columbus 60 minutes
.5 oz ahtanum 15 minutes
.5 citra 5 minutes
.5 oz ahtanum 0 minutes

In any case, you could dryhop it now. I'd use ahtanum and/or citra if you have more, as it would bring out some of those some tropical/citrus notes that the original hops had.

Back