Rusty Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
So I have had my grain mill outside, but covered with a tarp and under stairs for over a year. It was just easier to use the mill at LHBS. However, I often crush my grains 3-4 days before I brew. My efficiency has been slipping and I am wondering if my grains might be going a little stale before I use them. Thus I took out the old grain mill to find the roller were rusted on the top half. Can I salvage them or is it a lost cause?

WD40 spray, let it sit for some time and then try a stiff brush. If that doesn't work well enough, you should be able to find some rust remover as the next step.

Stiff brush attachement on your drill should clean it up good, if you can get the bin out of the way, or get to it underneath.

I'd do that before the WD-40. I'm not knocking it, but I would imagine WD-40 to be a pain to clean off once you're ready for grain.

Back