Rustic Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNC04

Reaction score
This is long.... Sorry

Sold my 1st keezer several years ago when things got too busy to keep it stocked (5 Taps). Decided to get back into home brewing on a smaller scale and started to plan out a new keezer and keep it at 3 taps with one dedicated to a commercial beer for those that prefer quantity over quality.
A 7.2 CU will allow me to use a 1/4 barrel of domestic and 2 home brews with room for a 3rd in condition mode if available as well as having the gas inside

I decided on a collar version using barn wood I had scrounged up many years ago and tin roofing.

Freezer off Craigslist was a haier 7.2

Built a frame to cover the front and sides of the freezer, leaving the back open since it will be against the wall. There is about 2.5-3 inches of space between the tin and the freezer

Procured the tin and galvanized was all I could find. Started to weather it using muratic acid then applying hydrogen peroxide and salt to the exposed portions.
New tin
p1313739678-3.jpg

Weathered tin
p1313739547-4.jpg

Installed the tin onto the frame which was more of a challenge that it should have been due to cutting it with tin snips and not being very straight.
(Finally discovered that a cutoff wheel on a grinder cuts this stuff like butter but that was the last cuts)

p1313739659-3.jpg

Now to frame this out using warped, twisted and bowed boards, this was a nightmare since I wanted to try to keep the natural wood edges wherever possible and still line things up in a somewhat clean fashion.
p1313739827-4.jpg

p1348279069-3.jpg

p1348279077-4.jpg

p1348279127-3.jpg

Used 2 large floor vents for air flow.
p1348279185-3.jpg

prepping the lid by sanding down the paint in order to glue plywood onto and then the top onto that. I needed the extra height of the plywood. This whole build was like a puzzle and I had it taken apart and put back together countless times
p1348279203-3.jpg

The underside of the lid had many protrusions and a light so I decided to remove the cover, foam insulation and make a flat lid.
Insulation came from cutting and placing the garage floor mats into the top with wood strips for rigidity and strength. Time will tell how will it insulates . they are 3 deep and total about 1.5 inches in depth. All seems caulked and sealed nicely.
p1348279001-4.jpg

Covered this with stained and poly light plywood. Not caulked in this photo
p1348279051-3.jpg

I struggled with the outside top material and settled on tongue and groove beetle killed pine which is a local resource here unfortunately.
Glued then sanded and adding matte poly eventually getting 4 coats
p1348279289-3.jpg

p1348279333-3.jpg

Casing is about done and entire thing was spayed with clear poly to protect it and stop splinters and what not from migrating into the beer.

p1348279315-3.jpg

One of the challenges when making a enclosed case is the overall width needed for shanks and how to best lock everything down and make as one unit. In this case, I used 2" pvc cut in 2" widths and used foam pipe insulation over the shank. Those 8 inch stainless shanks are not cheap! :eek:
p1348279396-3.jpg

Added a oak trim piece for the faucets to get them extended out a bit more and allowed for the top to come forward more to make a lip that I wanted.
p1348279405-3.jpg

Added a tray to place the drip tray on using steep pipe and screwed to the trim. the caps screw tight to the wood locking it down (accidental discovery and one of the few things that went right)
p1348280303-3.jpg

p1348280401-3.jpg

Still some tweaking to do but the exterior is about done
p1348280466-4.jpg

The Gas distribution stuff, and beer lines arrive Monday and I'll install them to the collar, Insulate the collar with the same rubber mat material and keg my first batch of homebrew in many years on Thursday.

I'll keep an eye on things to see if a fan and or dehumidifier will be needed.
Flow control perlick is for the domestic crowd and to allow for better pours when the keg is installed and if it sits a bit between use.

Brett

Nice work! So I don't want it to seem like I'm ripping off your idea, but I have been planning a more rustic style keezer myself and wanted to use the tin panels like you did as well. Could you explain a little more how you weathered it using the muriatic acid? I like the end result. I'm going with a tower and taps on top of the lid rather than out the side like you did. I also like how you made accommodation for the compressor to vent out the side rather than enclosing it totally like most people do. :mug:

Nice work! So I don't want it to seem like I'm ripping off your idea, but I have been planning a more rustic style keezer myself and wanted to use the tin panels like you did as well. Could you explain a little more how you weathered it using the muriatic acid? I like the end result. I'm going with a tower and taps on top of the lid rather than out the side like you did. I also like how you made accommodation for the compressor to vent out the side rather than enclosing it totally like most people do. :mug:

No worries at all about using some of the same styles!.

All the tin I could find was galvanized roofing type of tin so that what I went with. You can get muratic acid at most hardware stores and it's commonly used for pools and cleaning grout etc when doing stone work. It comes in a quart I think and I used a standard spray bottle lid to apply it. Just spray it on and it will start smoking and eating away at the galvanized portion. I took several applications to get what I wanted and letting it sit in the valleys of the tin really ate those away to bare metal.
Then there are several ways to make it rust. I used regular table salt which I sprinkled over the tin and the spayed hydrogen peroxide over it. Bot ways work, wet with the hydrogen peroxide then sprinkle salt over it. Google this and there may be even better ways to do this.

A couple of tips-
Invest in an angle grinder and then get a metal cutting blade. This will allow for straight cuts in the tin and will really save you down the road.
Use all safety precautions when doing this, the metal flies.

keep in mind, the tin is wavy and that caused many issues when trying to get the seams of the trim work to line up. I ended up cutting slits in the tin and or bashing the **** out of it with a hammer to make the tin lay flat under the trim work. It takes a lot of trial and error,, well it did me anyway.

Brett

No worries at all about using some of the same styles!.

All the tin I could find was galvanized roofing type of tin so that what I went with. You can get muratic acid at most hardware stores and it's commonly used for pools and cleaning grout etc when doing stone work. It comes in a quart I think and I used a standard spray bottle lid to apply it. Just spray it on and it will start smoking and eating away at the galvanized portion. I took several applications to get what I wanted and letting it sit in the valleys of the tin really ate those away to bare metal.
Then there are several ways to make it rust. I used regular table salt which I sprinkled over the tin and the spayed hydrogen peroxide over it. Bot ways work, wet with the hydrogen peroxide then sprinkle salt over it. Google this and there may be even better ways to do this.

A couple of tips-
Invest in an angle grinder and then get a metal cutting blade. This will allow for straight cuts in the tin and will really save you down the road.
Use all safety precautions when doing this, the metal flies.

keep in mind, the tin is wavy and that caused many issues when trying to get the seams of the trim work to line up. I ended up cutting slits in the tin and or bashing the **** out of it with a hammer to make the trim lay flat under the trim work. It takes a lot of trial and error,, well it did me anyway.

Brett

Thanks for the tips. I have an angle grinder, I'll grab a cutting wheel for the tin for sure. I've tried to cut stuff like that before with handheld tin snips and it just isn't worth the hassle. I've only seen the galvanized stuff at the local Home Depot, but I am also going to make a run by the local salvage warehouse to see what they have on hand. I'd like to find something that's been naturally weathered, but those types of places usually think old scrap is made of gold, so I'll likely beat up some new material myself.

Thanks ! I know the style is not for everyone, it's fits our house and other furniture I've made.

Brett

That's exactly the premise I used when I sold my wife on the project! She said as long as it looks like a piece of furniture, I can do whatever I want. Now I just wish I had more room to fit something bigger than a 5.0cuft keezer :D

I love this build. I've never been a fan of coffin keepers or framed keepers, but this has converted me on the framed kind! Great job. Might push me to rethink my current 8.8 frigid site build (modelling it after the 'Black Sunshine' keezer).

Tossed around a few ideas for tap handles and decided to distress some copper pipe I had leftover from a plumbing project and bought some fittings to finish them.

To identify what beer each tap would draw from, I used some hinges painted in chalkboard paint. when open, it would list the beer, On the back and when folded up it states empty or M/T. I'm still on the fence about this part but we'll see. For sure I need smaller chalk to write with. lol
Copper was distressed using salt and vinegar. Flash makes it look mud more red than it is.
p1392675057-3.jpg

p1392675077-3.jpg

Will be kegging another beer on Thursday.
Brett

Looks great! nice job. What does m/t stand for - I am either really slow or not thinking today and cant figure it out :)

Empty...

Definition: containing nothing; having none of the usual or appropriate contents, without cargo or load, opposite of full.

Don't be too hard on yourself. LOL. I have had 3 people that have seen it in person ask the same question. I thought it would be obvious but it doesn't seem to be.

Brett

Never underestimated peoples stupidity :)

I think it is the "/" maybe MT would be more recognizable...but doubtful :mug:

"M T " is usually what you see out in the industrial world, for a barrel, or cylinder, or crate, that is "empty", and is ready to be picked up or swapped out......Scribbled on the side in chalk usually..........Seen all the time here @ the airport.

"M T " is usually what you see out in the industrial world, for a barrel, or cylinder, or crate, that is "empty", and is ready to be picked up or swapped out......Scribbled on the side in chalk usually..........Seen all the time here @ the airport.

Makes sense, I may have been sampling a bit prior to writing it. lol

I think I will write "OUT" in the future:) .

Brett

Back