Rust prevention grain mill rollers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
I was wondering if olive oil would be a good idea to keep my grain mill rollers from rusting...any input..I know it is beer safe. Thanks

I spray mine down with Pam. Keeping it in the house instead of the garage will help as well

I just don't get mine in contact with moisture.

I really don't mean to sound smart, but I've never rinsed my mill and never had any worry or rust at all.

h4mmy86 is right. Like pasta rollers, you should NEVER use water or any type of wet rag to clean these types of equipment. No need for oiling the rollers. After each use, wipe them down with a dry cloth and store in a dry, cool place.

Just live in the desert. :D

I just use compressed air on mine after each session to remove most of the dust. I then loosely cover it and store it in my garage.

Mine is in the garage. I don't use water but humidity in IL can be crazy.

I made the mistake of trying to clean mine when I first got it (it was used) and it started rusting like 10 seconds after I got it wet. I ran some dry white rice through it a couple of times and that knocked the rust out.

Now I just clean with a stiff nylon brush every time I use it and otherwise ignore it. Also, I never condition my malt.

fwiw, you can run conditioned malt through a steel mill, just reserve a half pound of un-conditioned base malt to end the crushing session. You'll get nearly all of the benefit of conditioning without leaving the mill damp...

Cheers!

My three-roller mill achieves a pretty efficient crush without much shredding of husk, so I'm unconvinced that conditioning would improve much of anything to be worth the effort. Others might disagree.

I don't have a mill, but . . . .

Why not do what is often done with cast meat grinders and store in dry rice?

Back