rust on my caps :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJekyll-HomeBrew

Reaction score
i have had a bag of caps for a while and figured ill use them, well i just bottled my beer and bathed the caps in boiling water to sanitize them. after i started bottling i saw that there was a rusty red ring in my pot.

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

and some small spots on the top of the caps

IMAG0027.jpg

but when i was bottling i looked at every seal inside and they looked normal and not discolored, so i figure i am fine.

advice anyone? has this happened to you?

I wouldn't boil modern caps anyway. That's something from back in the day when they didn't have plastic liner/gaskets in them. The heat can warp the plastic, and you could run the risk of them not holding a tight seal. Just a quick soak in your favorite no-rinse sanitizer is sufficient.

I wouldn't boil modern caps anyway. That's something from back in the day when they didn't have plastic liner/gaskets in them. The heat can warp the plastic, and you could run the risk of them not holding a tight seal. Just a quick soak in your favorite no-rinse sanitizer is sufficient.

thank you. i used to put them in sanitizer but went to boiling.

Back