rust in hlt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thach1aj

Reaction score
Hi all,
I welded S/S male pipe fitting on to my hlt for ball valves, etc. And on the inside of hlt where I welded has started rust and seems to get worse every time I use my system. I haven't had much problem with taste in my beer but I was wondering if anyone knows if this could be a potential problem and if so what I should do about it. Thanks.

Andrew

Get yourself some Bar Keeper's Friend at a big box store (or where you like to shop). It's only about $4. Mix it into a paste, apply, let it dry, then rinse off well. From what I have read, that will repassivate the SS. Stuff works great.

I've had this same problem around the welds and on the bottom of the HLT. I use RO water and add my own salts which seems to make it worse. No noticeable off flavors but I wouldn't expect this to be an issue with SS

I received a crappy bulkhead on my BK and couldnt find any locally, but was going to brew and needed a quick fix. Ended up decided on cleaning the rust out with a plumbing wire brush, heating the kettle (with no water) and then rubbing the affected area with olive oil. Cleaned the area after to remove excess oil. Ive used it 3 times (just got a replacement for it) and have not had any issues/off flavors with it. Not saying its the best option, but it worked in a pinch.

Here's some before and after using BKF when I had some rust in my HLT.

Rust.jpg

Rust2.jpg

Latest posts

Back