Russian River Brewing Sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd pay $3.25 a pint all day long for PTE. When and if I can get it mail-order, I normally pay about $10-$12 per bottle.

Quit'cher bellyachin'!!!

The point is I don't think a craft brewer should be treated any differently than a top chef. There is craft brewing and there is Kraft brewing.

The point is I don't think a craft brewer should be treated any differently than a top chef. There is craft brewing and there is Kraft brewing.

357jcx.jpg

Your beefs, as I see, are twofold:

1. The price has gone up.
2. RR uses ingredients that you feel are inferior.

You do realize that, if RR caved and went with all organic, locally sourced ingredients, that the cost would go up tremendously, right?

This appears to be one of those cases where it is literally impossible to please someone.

While I think this post is kinda redic I also think defending genetically modified crops of any kind is pretty stupid. Big agriculture drove a lot of farmers in this country out of business and created a lot of problems with a growing population and lop sided economy. Must feel nice to mess with peoples food supply then go WHOS GONNA GROW THE FOOD, when you didn't need to eliminate the "competition" in the first place. Greed doesn't have to be commonplace in business and there are lots of sustainable breweries that sell six packs of great beer for less than $10 bucks and for that I feel blessed. Either way, drink on and eat what you want... That **** ain't for me though!

EVERYTHING in this country has or is going up in price! Or, haven't you noticed?!

While I think this post is kinda redic I also think defending genetically modified crops of any kind is pretty stupid. Big agriculture drove a lot of farmers in this country out of business and created a lot of problems with a growing population and lop sided economy. Must feel nice to mess with peoples food supply then go WHOS GONNA GROW THE FOOD, when you didn't need to eliminate the "competition" in the first place. Greed doesn't have to be commonplace in business and there are lots of sustainable breweries that sell six packs of great beer for less than $10 bucks and for that I feel blessed. Either way, drink on and eat what you want... That **** ain't for me though!

You're right. We should go back to the days of everyone growing their own food. Then, this wouldn't be an issue.

Wait...

while the pesticide industry is insanely screwed up, you crying about paying low prices for awesome beer is hilarious.

Ok, so craft brewer = top chef.
BMC = mcdonalds.

Meal at mcdonalds = 6 dollars.
Meal at restaurant where a top chef is cooking = 60 dollars

12 oz of BMC at happy hour = $2.00
pint of craft beer should = 20 dollars?

Last I checked, hop prices are way up. Russian River uses a signification amount of hard to source hops (read:Simcoe), and their most abundantly distributed beer is a double IPA with around 3lbs of hops per barrel.

So yes, I'm sure their ingredient costs have gone up. Besides the fact. They sell beer that almost everyone deems 'World Class', and you're complaining over $3.25 pints?

First world problems.....

I can get on board with what you're saying. However it seemed like OP didn't mind that it was GMO barley until prices went up. (Assuming OP is even correct about the source of grain.)

APPARENTLY talking **** about the producer of the worlds most fanboy-obsessed IPA doesn't make you any friends on HBT, go figure.

3.25$ is not double 2.50$...
16 ounces is not half of 20 ounces...

And I'm with stratslinger, if I could get a 3.25$ tasty beer ANYWHERE here (usually around 4$ during happy hour) then I wouldn't be complaining.

homebrewdad said:
Your beefs, as I see, are twofold:

1. The price has gone up.
2. RR uses ingredients that you feel are inferior.

You do realize that, if RR caved and went with all organic, locally sourced ingredients, that the cost would go up tremendously, right?

This appears to be one of those cases where it is literally impossible to please someone.

Couldn't agree more, you can't expect a top shelf product at a bottom shelf price. You wouldn't go to an organic local free range type restaurant and expect to pay the same as you would at Applebee's.

Pliny has fanboys, sure. It also has haters and people who enjoy it on occasion. It doesn't change the fact that the OP's argument is lame. The proof is in the pudding. They are still putting out some amazing beers, especially in their barrel program and I'll pay the prices when I'm given the opportunity. Complaining about a $3.25 20oz pour has to be the most misdirected BS I've seen around here in a long time.

To the best of my knowledge Cargill's malts aren't GMO. Their normal 2-row is a blend of Metcalfe and Copeland, which are results of a Canadian research station's traditional cross-breeding development.
In addition, Cargill is the importer for Paul's, Warminster, Dingemans, and Meussdoerffer malts.

If you think their beer. Or any beer for that matter is not worth the price. Then don't buy it. It's that simple.

No one is forcing you to buy their beer.

I live about 10 Min from Russian River, and I go at least once a month. Their beer is no more expensive than any other brewery in this area. I am opening a Nano just up the road, and I will be charging really high prices for local craft beer. If you want really good beer and you want it to be cheap, make it. I have paid over 10k in permits alone, grain is not cheap, and employees are over the top expensive. I am doing it because I love brewing. Sorry for the rant, but if you are going to complain about Russian River, complain about the bartender that never has anything nice to say and feels to important to be friendly, not about their prices.

And if you have a problem with GM crops, I'd love to hear your ideas on how to feed everyone on the planet.

Auqaponics FTW. I can grow not only fruit/veggies and fish but chicken eggs and pheasant meat. I can do it cleaner faster and better than any GMO, pesticide infested or even "organic" dirt crop with very few exception. Seriously look into that technology has the ability to end world hunger in governments did not get in the way...

Russian river doesn't use organic grain because its a PIA to buy, and GMO is a known price/supply chain.

The organic jobbers hate to commit to contract. I need about 36 months lead time to commit acreage for certification. with GMO, I KNOW, 18000 acres at 75-85bushels is sold twice a season. With organic, its a mystery, anywhere between 1000-2000 acres at 45 bushels, and if the tree hugging sandal wearing jobbers aren't buying it gets sold as non certified. Lots of paperwork, 1/2 the yield, acreage tied up, questionable selling and the Geaner is still burning 16 gallons of diesel an hour.

Even a bio-diesel fermentor reactor takes power and raw materials that have a value.

So yeah, I really turn the screws on Organic prices and Don't blame RR one bit.

I live about 10 Min from Russian River, and I go at least once a month. Their beer is no more expensive than any other brewery in this area. I am opening a Nano just up the road, and I will be charging really high prices for local craft beer. If you want really good beer and you want it to be cheap, make it. I have paid over 10k in permits alone, grain is not cheap, and employees are over the top expensive. I am doing it because I love brewing. Sorry for the rant, but if you are going to complain about Russian River, complain about the bartender that never has anything nice to say and feels to important to be friendly, not about their prices.

Yeah, that bartender is kind of an ass.

Complaining about a $3.25 20oz pour has to be the most misdirected BS I've seen around here in a long time.

I believe he said "$3.25 for a 16oz. non imperial pint".
And I defend his right to complain about any thing, for any reason, at any time.
It's the American way:rockin:
Ok, I'm ready, flame me, I can take it, :D

And I defend his right to complain about any thing, for any reason, at any time.
It's the American way:rockin:
Ok, I'm ready, flame me, I can take it, :D

Complain all you want; just don't get defensive when not one person agrees with you. :D

Auqaponics FTW. I can grow not only fruit/veggies and fish but chicken eggs and pheasant meat. I can do it cleaner faster and better than any GMO, pesticide infested or even "organic" dirt crop with very few exception. Seriously look into that technology has the ability to end world hunger in governments did not get in the way...

+1

I have a number of friends who are big into the "vertical farming" concept (dual purposing skyscrapers as office buildings and hydroponic farms).

At a lot of places around here, BMC is $3 a 12 OZ BOTTLE (unless it's happy hour). Craft beers are routinely $6, 7, 8 a pint. If I could get my hands on RR, I'd GLADLY pay more than that.

I have my own qualms with the biotech companies out there, but I have no problem with the concept of GMO foods in and of themselves.

CBXBob said:
I believe he said "$3.25 for a 16oz. non imperial pint".

Hell 3.25 for a 12 oz bottle is a deal around here.much less a pint or peril pint. OP is a little out of touch with reality.

No worries about the GMOs, the alcohol in beer destroys them.....it's science.

Three Floyd's is at least $5-6 a glass and the higher ABV beers come in small snifters, I wish I could visit RR sometime and get those prices. If you really want to have fresh high quality beer not made with GMO s#*t then brew it yourself, that's what this forum is all about. Even better check out the 100% Homegrown thread to get some ideas on growing your own things. As long as your purchasing something from a business operating in a mostly capitalist economy then expect them to sell out in some ways trying to make a profit, the best way to avoid it is subverting the economy altogether by growing and brewing your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back