Russian River Brewing Sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rising price of RRBC beer does not seem to have lessened its quantity demanded, juding from the availability of barstools after 4pm. Basic economic theory says its price is correct, if not too low.

I have never dealt with Cargill (typically deal with Great Western or Briess), but find it amusing that someone is ranting against their products. Not only do they sell their own malt, but Gambrinus, Paul's, Meussdorfer, Wrminster and a couple others. Glowing reviews at probrewer.com

man i wish there was a bar near my house that would sell me a delicious russian river beer i would probably pay like 8 bucks for a snifter of supplication maybe even ten

OP needs to get out more. Spoiled...

Sorry, I don't feel your pain at all.

man i wish there was a bar near my house that would sell me a delicious russian river beer i would probably pay like 8 bucks for a snifter of supplication maybe even ten

If it makes you feel any better, Supplication and the like are 6 bucks a glass.

8$ for a pint here in MTL and that's just for the ever "rare" Guinness. I would consider not homebrewing if pints were 3.25$. just kidding.....

Kinda wonder if OP just felt like stirring things up a little.

I don't know what this Russian River is that you're all speaking of, but i'd gladly pay 3.50 for a taste of the top rated beer in the world. This thread reminds me of the recent 5 dollar increase in shipping thread. Bottom line, you don't like it, don't partake. But stop airing your menstrual cramps to (mostly) people who aren't even lucky enough to have the choice to buy it or not. If the most "crafty" beer you had at your local bar was magic hat #9 at 6 bucks a pint, maybe you wouldn't complain.

I am only a short drive from RR, as I live in East Bay. I moved to CA about 9 months ago fro WI, and just having the privilege of being able to go to the store or drive to the brew pub and get RR beers is great.

So far as the price: If you don't like it, no one is making you buy it. Instead of ranting about it on a forum that has a lot of respect for both the brewery and the brewer, why not just simply forego purchasing RR beers? More for all of us that have absolutely no problem paying a fair price for an incredibly well made beer. In fact, I can't think of a single thing that HASN'T gone up in price. You want to know what serious price increase is? Try moving from Milwaukee, WI to Bay Area, CA. That will make paying a little more for top quality beer feel like pennies falling out of your pocket.

So far as the GMO grain: they probably use it because it is the highest quality. It is likely GMO to produce grain that is more resistant to attack by bugs and bacteria. A lot of GMO foods are used precisely to circumvent the use of pesticides. Not exactly sure what your beef is with that...

I would also like to mention that at any store I have seen RR up here it is 12.99$ a bottle. soooooo.... yeah....

Someone should try this thread title over on the BA forum. That'd be fun.

I don't think it's right for the fans of Russian River products to be happy with increased prices and less beer. The bottled 750ML bottles used to be 9-20$ depending on styles. Now they are half the volume and nearly the same prices or more.

I don't think Russian River should be proud of winning awards when in the kitchen when they take short cuts with cheaper inferior malt. Professional brewers have said that Cargill malts provide good conversion and priced right.

How can a company claim to be against the fight for cancer with pink ribbons yet support pesticide producing GMO crop manufactures?

I'll pay 6.00-10$ for a good beer but it's got to be a good product. Kraft beer is becoming like hot house tomatoes...flavorless and everywhere.

Eel River/Bison/Ukiah brewing...all Calfiornia brewers offer organic ales that don't cost 10$ per pint.

The bottom line is I remember Russian River when the beer was better, tasted less gritty/and more robustly aromatic.

Today's Pliny and Blind Pig are nothing like they used to be. Some of you folks might also like to know I can get Pliny For 3.00 a pint during happy hour :)

But guess what...The jerks don't remove stone from the lines...They get cleaned but never changed...The gas regulator is poorly calibrated and the beer tastes inferior. Does a craft brewer allow his product to be dispensed without caring?

Yes...they do. That's why I'm over it...Craft beer deserves to get all the market share it can capture but the next exciting wave of beer is going to be nano scale with uncompromising quality.

Hopefully the Nelson Sauvin Organic Strawberry Pale ale turns out good...Take that Dogfish :)

Good response, OP. You know where you stand and stick to it.

Have you voiced any of these concerns to RR?

Ultimately markets are about value - and it appears RR's customers don't value a lot of the things you mention, hence RR changing. If people do value that stuff, then I bet you're right - the next wave will be the nanos. It's a tough industry and getting tougher, so unless a customer values (and is willing to pay for) superior, organic, GMO malt, it's not gonna happen, IMO. But I think (hope I'm wrong) most people don't know, don't care and can't tell the difference.

How can a company claim to be against the fight for cancer with pink ribbons yet support pesticide producing GMO crop manufactures?

-----

The bottom line is I remember Russian River when the beer was better, tasted less gritty/and more robustly aromatic.

I agree with the first point.

I would put money down on you not being able to taste which between the two are GMO free if you had several bottles of the same beer brewed by the same person side by side (one truly organic the other with GMO malts).

This is the very nature of capitalism: Allow a private business to make the decisions it chooses, and allow for the market to decide its fate. If they create a product worthy enough of their prices, they will last. Otherwise - they will eat their own decision and go out of business - and those that produce the best product for the price will succeed.

*Everything will be OK - Christmas is still coming*

This is the very nature of capitalism: Allow a private business to make the decisions it chooses, and allow for the market to decide its fate. If they create a product worthy enough of their prices, they will last. Otherwise - they will eat their own decision and go out of business - and those that produce the best product for the price will succeed.

*Everything will be OK - Christmas is still coming*

And then you buy out all of your competitors, the distributor and reduce your product to 4% alcohol and charge the same price.

OldWorld said:
GMO crops are produced by and for the pesticide industry. Mother nature can grow what she wants better than us humans...

Also...why should they charge twice the price for half the beer? Cargill malt is the cheapest in the industry yet they call themselves "craft beer"

??? What do the pesticide companies do with all those crops?

OldWorld said:
My point exactly freakish...They used to charge less...yet now they are using the cheapest ingredients the market will sell yet call it craft beer.

Craft beer ought to be aobut sourcing the finest ingredients and not market based economics. Craft beer ought to be about the craft not marketing or industry trends. Sadly the smalerl guys only want to get bigger.

I truly hope we see a nano brewing revolution...Give everybody a piece of the pie to compete...we don't need stone...dogfish...russian river...laguniats...

Woudln't you rather have regional fresh beer than mass distributed beer freakish?

Dont like it? Make your own damn beer.

Also you seem misinformed. GMO crops have nothing to do with pesticides. Might as well say McDonalds sells sodas so they can hand out straws.

i have to disagree on some basic premises of the OP

1. RR is a business. The fundamental, underlying principle of a business is to make money. If you don't like what they're doing, speak with your wallet, and spend money elsewhere. If enough people agree with you, and do the same, they (RR) will be forced to change their practices, or go out business. My guess is that since RR makes awesome brew, that won't happen.

2. Other people probably have different definitions of what 'Craft Brew' is. It could be that some consider it to be anything that isnt BMC; others may think of craft brew as anything coming out of a <5 bbl fermenter or smaller. If its a big deal to you, again, don't buy their product; better yet, make an organic clone and brew it yourself.

the point is, don't espouse your beliefs too loudly or belligerently. People may just take your points to be the ranting of some dude that likes to yell.

I love GMOs and pesticides, just as tasty and cheaper to grow - and you get a lot more per acre. Without them like 2 billion people on earth would starve to death.

I don't think it's right for the fans of Russian River products to be happy with increased prices and less beer. The bottled 750ML bottles used to be 9-20$ depending on styles. Now they are half the volume and nearly the same prices or more.

I don't think Russian River should be proud of winning awards when in the kitchen when they take short cuts with cheaper inferior malt. Professional brewers have said that Cargill malts provide good conversion and priced right.

I'll pay 6.00-10$ for a good beer but it's got to be a good product. Kraft beer is becoming like hot house tomatoes...flavorless and everywhere.

Eel River/Bison/Ukiah brewing...all Calfiornia brewers offer organic ales that don't cost 10$ per pint.

Today's Pliny and Blind Pig are nothing like they used to be. Some of you folks might also like to know I can get Pliny For 3.00 a pint during happy hour :)

But guess what...The jerks don't remove stone from the lines...They get cleaned but never changed...The gas regulator is poorly calibrated and the beer tastes inferior. Does a craft brewer allow his product to be dispensed without caring?

Yes...they do. That's why I'm over it...Craft beer deserves to get all the market share it can capture but the next exciting wave of beer is going to be nano scale with uncompromising quality.

Hopefully the Nelson Sauvin Organic Strawberry Pale ale turns out good...Take that Dogfish :)

:rolleyes: So its safe to say that you in no way have every consumed a GMO or used a product that was produced with the use of pesticides/herbicides?

Do you know how many tons of earth had to be removed to obtain the materials and rare earth elements used in your computer or cell phone?

Ever used a combustion engine that requires petroleum and releases dangerous chemicals into the atmosphere and groundwater?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then I have to ask....

Why do you hate healthy people and want to kill them through your heathenish ways?

I love GMOs and pesticides, just as tasty and cheaper to grow - and you get a lot more per acre. Without them like 2 billion people on earth would starve to death.

You stop with you evil twisted logic. You must be Norman Borlaug himself. :)

Simple answer to all of the above- if you're unhappy with the product, price, or methods of production vote w/ your feet & go elsewhere!
Otherwise, STFU.

Craft beer ought to be aobut sourcing the finest ingredients and not market based economics. Craft beer ought to be about the craft not marketing or industry trends. Sadly the smalerl guys only want to get bigger.

You know companies have to make money to keep going, right?

I truly hope we see a nano brewing revolution...Give everybody a piece of the pie to compete...we don't need stone...dogfish...russian river...laguniats...

Things were much better when we only had BMC. :rolleyes:

I find it funny that you're bitchin' about $3.50 16oz RR for happy hour. Around here happy hour is $3.50 12oz Coors Light.

Again for Oldworld, which malts are GMO from Cargill? They certainly sell GMO corn and soybeans but AFAIK there are no commercially grown GMO barley malts.

while I agree with your views on gmo products I am still a fan of RR some breweries that use a lot of premium hops are forced to sign contracts, that in some cases cost them a bunch and they can be forced to buy more than they even need.

I don't know this to be the case for RR but maybe they don't even know some of their product are GMO

I would happily pay 3.50 for 20 oz of MANY RR beers and the guys continue to crank out amazing brews so I have nothing against them

Inflation alone justifies $0.87 of the increase to $3. Unfortunately wholesale grain prices (using wheat as a research substitute) have increased 105%, energy prices have doubled as well, and we all know hop prices ratcheted up too.

Here in San Diego all the microbreweries charge $3-$4 per pint, with the higher gravity beers going for $5-$6.

I have never had anything from RR as I live in Michigan and they don't distribute here. I do however look around on the interweb consistently to try something from this fine brewery. In fact I am really excited to try the collaboration between them and SN, that will be distributed here, and will gladly pay $20 bucks for one bottle. Also this weekend I will go have a 12oz pour or two at Short's in Belaire, Michigan(a damn fine brewery, but one without the prestige or name rec of RR) and gladly pay 5.50 for sed pour. Also I won't be able to find a seat in the place from the time it opens until it closes. Did I mention that Belaire is three hours plus from anyplace even resembling a big city. So I'm not alone in finding that pricing reasonable....in Michigan...you know the state that has consistently had one of the worst economies in the US for the past two decades.

One day I told my wife(a social worker) that I was just having an off day. She said to me " I'm sorry, I can't talk right now. Dealing with a 120 lbs man who just broke down a steel door in prison and has been eating his own poop. My day is worse."
My day seemed pretty good after that, because it's all about perspective.

Also just an observation but I've suddenly noticed that the senior members on this site have become awfully cagey recently...not disagreeing, just enjoying it. Keep up the good work.

I agree with the OP! This is a travesty! I demand Russian River send me a few beers (for free of course) so I can personally inspect their quality!

In case this works... I also demand Rogue, Surly, and Stone also send me free beer for inspection!

Want cheap beer? Get used to PBR then. I'd be more than happy to pay those prices for their beer! As for their grain, end product is still great! I'd charge more also if I were them, you get what you pay for.

Honestly, I'll call it: Troll

The OP has been strongly opinionated in every thread I've seen him in(which is ok), and definitely likes to stir the pot. I remember a thread not long ago where he said he didn't see the purpose of dry hopping, and it was only a good way to oxidize your beer. Also said dry hopping is only worthwhile when you have fresh hops to work with. I remember because I argued adamantly against him.

Now he's saying Pliny and Pig, two heavily dry hopped beers, aren't quite as good as they used to be? This doesn't add up.

I'm happy to forget about this thread and move on with my life. On to more productive things....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back