Ruined pumpkin stout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesboy

Reaction score
Hey all,
Wanted to share my misery discovered this week. Brewed a pumpkin stout all grain with vanilla bean and the smallest amount of pie spice. Tasted pre yeast pitch and it was heavenly! Pitched yeast and had a violent fermentation. So much so I came home to the lid blown half way off with a growth of foamy goodness hanging six inches up and over the bucket. Removed foam and reinstalled lid and a blow off tube to replace the air lock.
Time to keg came a couple days ago. Heavenly aroma and taste were no where to be found. Kegged anyway. Tasted this am and holy sour crap batman it's terrible. This will be the first ruined batch in my 3 years of brewing that will be dumped down the drain because I highly doubt this will age to anything worth drinking any time soon.
Strong feeling the blown lid was the culprit to let some nasty guests in. Used a washed yeast from April that could also have done it. First time that would have happened to me with washed yeast so leaning toward the open fermenter. Either way I am bummed out because I had planned on taking this to homecoming tailgate this weekend.

Any similar stories of uninvited wild bugs creeping in to prized brews?

Dont have a similar story, but i think the source of your sourness is more from the washed yeast. When the lid blew open there was a huge colony of yeast already settled in, spewing out so much c02 that it seems unlikely to me that something else could have gotten in. But who knows!

Yeah who knows. Either way I'm bummed. Haven't found the heart to dump it yet. May try to let it sit for a couple months to see what she becomes.

Back