Saison Ruby Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 565
Yeast Starter
Yup
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Ruby
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days (66-84 F)
Tasting Notes
Delicate with Saison Funk. Peppery notes, and a big fruity Aroma
9 lbs Pilsner 78.3%
1 lbs Flaked Oats 8.7%
1.5 lbs Organic Raspberries Puree 13% (at flameout)

Mash rest was 150f for 60 minutes.

Sorachi Ace .25oz @ FWH (14.2 ibus)
Sorachi Ace .75oz @ 10 minutes (13.2 ibus)

Used WLP 565 Let it free ride and then ramped up to 84F

Great beer! Hope you enjoy it!

DC8E6268-1.jpg

I just brewed a similar saison with exclusively sorachi ace hops, similar hop schedule with the addiditon of another ounce after flameout. I also just planted 25 raspberry plants....added to my notes for a future brew day!

It was in the fermenter for two and a half weeks. I used the Raspberries at flameout becuase I didnt really want a overly fruit beer.
I originally wanted to use some flame out hops and a small dry hop as well, but I had to leave this beer in a keg for a bit as my work schedule changed.

Where did you get your puree? I have no experience using purees at the end of the boil, how much of the flavor comes through? Could I rack the chilled wort onto the raspberry puree and pitch yeast instead?

Where did you get your puree? I have no experience using purees at the end of the boil, how much of the flavor comes through? Could I rack the chilled wort onto the raspberry puree and pitch yeast instead?

I made the Puree at home in my Vitamix Blender. As far as flavor impact at flameout, this really isn't the way to go for a fruit beer. If you want a lot of Raspberry. I would ferment it without fruit, rack to a secondary, and add your puree. I have used Oregon Fruits (vinters Harvest) purees. They are pasteurized as well.

I was just going for color and some subtle fruit hints with the raspberry addition at flameout. It turned out really good. A lot of people enjoyed it.

Back