Mango Saison Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krown

Reaction score
Hello all!

I will be brewing my first Saison ever and I wan't it to be really good as it will be the first beer I ever keg (I CAN'T WAIT!!!).

I am shooting for a saison with a blend of tropical hop notes, subtle but present mango taste, phenols and slightly tart/sour (without bugs for my first attempt).

I'd like to get some feedback, the initial recipe is as follows (grain bill copy pasted from azscoob's cottage house saison):

Est. OG: 1.045 (1.050 if accounting fruits)
SRM: 6.1
Est. IBUs: 29

5.8 gallon batch
Mash 90 minutes @ 150F
Boil 60 minutes

8.5 lbs Pilsner Malt (81%)
16 oz White Wheat (9.5%)
8 oz Flaked oats (4.8%)
8 oz Caramunich Malt (4.8%)

1 oz Citra @ 15 min
1 oz Citra @ 5 min

4.4 pounds frozen Mangos in secondary after 7 days primary
Yeast: WY3726 Farmhouse Ale if available otherwise WY3711 French Saison

Actic Lacid before kegging: quantity TBD, I don't have a pH meter but will either lower a glass to taste and scale up or do an educated guess after more research. The goal is to help the mango to shine.

Should I reduce the 15 minute hop addition and throw additionnal flame out/whirl pool hops? Should I dry hop it? It will be my first time brewing with fruits and I don't want to hide the mango taste.

Should I increase/double the mango? I wan't people to easily taste it's in there but I still want yeast character to drive some flavors.

Ferm schedule should look like this: 3 days @ 66-68 then free rise to RT (which will be warmed to 75F if RT gets colder).

Thank you community!! :mug:

sounds good for the ingredient list, I use the 3711 French as one of my house yeasts, only thing i've learned is that I do initial fermentation at 73-75 for day 1-3 (room temp for my house) then drop it in a fermentation keezer at 68 for the next two weeks. I've been disappointed with the lack of saison-esque character when i ferment down at normal temps. After the first few days I could leave it out, but swmbo would prefer to have the carboy out of sight. The main ferments done by day 3 of krausen anyway.

acid addition is a nice way to sour, but try to undershoot it. mine seemed to get stronger after a few days in keg. if the mango isn't strong enough at kegging, think about a mango extract flavoring.

Back