Rubbermaid problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggabrew

juggabrew
Reaction score
I decided to make my own mash tun from a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler I bought from HD. Upon gathering my materials for my bulk head, I noticed the prefab hole is off center..photo below

Does anyones cooler look like this? I was thinking I would take it back and look for one thats properly centered, for the hole being so low the washers would not fit into the 1 1/2" dia. space.

Is this normal? not normal? Any help would be appreciated before I waste my time taking it back

:smack:

IMG_0651.jpg

I decided to make my own mash tun from a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler I bought from HD. Upon gathering my materials for my bulk head, I noticed the prefab hole is off center..photo below

Does anyones cooler look like this? I was thinking I would take it back and look for one thats properly centered, for the hole being so low the washers would not fit into the 1 1/2" dia. space.

Is this normal? not normal? Any help would be appreciated before I waste my time taking it back

:smack:

I used a dremel tool and removed the rest of the orange to the beveled edge. I then installed the bulkhead to just the white portion.

I guess I am not seeing the problem or perhaps I built mine differently than others. If the gasket used to seal the wort in is in the inside of the cooler then why worry about what is on the outside so much. I know mine I had to put a couple of huge thick fender washers on it because I used a nipple that was to long.

Varmintman said:
I guess I am not seeing the problem or perhaps I built mine differently than others. If the gasket used to seal the wort in is in the inside of the cooler then why worry about what is on the outside so much. I know mine I had to put a couple of huge thick fender washers on it because I used a nipple that was to long.

The main reason I'm concerned, is that on the inside I have a 3/8" coupling that attaches the FB to the bulkhead. When I screw the coupling on it hits the FB. Would be nice to have the extra space when installing/removing FB

Varmintman said:
Ok I guess. I did not use any bulk head fittings just straight up plumbing parts.

Yeah that's what I did, used parts from work. I went up to lowes and bought a new one, I got a price match plus 10% off so it was worth just for that. Haha happy brewing

Thx

Mine was exactly the same, not sure if I would have been able to find one perfectly drilled in the center at the store because i noticed long after I purchased it. My bulkhead wouldn't seal properly due to the offset, so I took a razor blade to the bottom lip of the plastic on the outside. Chopped it up real nice until I could get the fender washer flush, now it seals perfectly. No worries.

nice! I just assembled my ball valve and it has no leaks, used the rubber grommet that came with it but the hole assembly spins even tho its tightly screwed on, not sure why. Does your's do this? Im thinking if doesn't leak then forget about it

nice! I just assembled my ball valve and it has no leaks, used the rubber grommet that came with it but the hole assembly spins even tho its tightly screwed on, not sure why. Does your's do this? Im thinking if doesn't leak then forget about it

That is why I had to put a BIG fat fender washer on the outside between the valve and the cooler. The washer I used fit just barely withing the large indentation so I used a few smaller ones to take up the slack in the smaller indentation.

For mine when it was finished the cooler acted like a washer between the valve and T that I used. I tightened it all up and then added some real hot water to soften and expand things and then tightened it all up again while hot.

No leaks and it is solid as can be but I will say I tend to over build things :eek:

sweet! thanks for the advice. added the larger fender washer and it helped...leak tested good to go. Only thing I need now is a high temp tube to connect my FB to the barb and I'm set.

I had the same problem with mine. I just used a few washers that had a smaller OD so they would fit in the indentation.

Back