Rubber Grommet / Gasket Fell in the Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - I have read plenty of threads here on fallen grommets / gaskets in the wort after trying to seal a very wet (from sanitizer) lid with the airlock. I brewed an experimental beer on Saturday and was in a rush to leave for a weekend trip with the family, so I left the rubber grommet in the fermenter thinking that it's sanitized and won't do any harm. My belief was confirmed by a lot of posts around this topic, but here is my question.

I didn't fasten the airlock after that and kinda left it lose / dangling in that hole on the lid. Three days later when I returned I checked that Krausen had risen and fallen back (looking at the leftover around the top of the pail). I see strong bubbling activity happening still and it smells very much like a good beer. Should I have take steps to seal the airlock with a duct tape or replacement grommet to ensure no further leakage or leave it be. The bucket is sitting in my basement which is relatively clean with no AC ducts/vents around it. As I mentioned, the airlock is still there in the hole, but it's not airtight. I wanted to know the potential oxygenation issues, etc. Obviously, I am a noob so I don't what risks I am taking on by leaving the airlock not so tightly sealed. I don't care about the bubbling activity and rely solely on gravity readings only.

Here is the experimental recipe if you are curious...I have no clue how it will turn out, but will also report that.

5.5 lbs Munich LME
3 lbs Pilsen DME
0.75 lbs Rice Syrup Solids

Simcoe Hops for bittering
Willamette Hops for flavor

Nottingham Ale yeast.

I don't have it yet but looks like I'll be investing in one soon. Also, I am not worrying about this further. I peaked through the hole again and everything seems to be chugging along well...adios amigos until next update

So long as active fermentation is going on you shouldnt have oxygen going into the fermenter. Some people ferment with unsealed bucket lids and are fine. After the active fermentation ends so long as you do not have your temperatures fluctuating you shouldnt have any O2 sucked in either. Yous hould be fine. It is beer.

I used some plastic wrap i had soaked in starsan and used it to seal the area around some tubing i had stuck in there when this happened to me. It worked out for me until a bought a new grommet and was able to replace my airlock

Back