Rubber bung

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin201

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents I have a quick question last night I was moving some of my carboys and demi johns around. And on my 4 gallon demijohn Merlot Cabernet mix the bung was off of it when I got home today so probably 24 hours of it being open do you think the wine was damaged I did it taste it tastes great ,the color looks great.

This has happened to me several times with the rubber stoppers, I've gotten into the habit of putting some clear packing tape over the rubber stoppers to hold them in place in the carboys.
You did the right thing, you looked at it, you tasted it, and it was fine.

Yeah I got scared when I saw the bung on the floor I was like oh no. ... Let me ask you the Bung i have on there is a solid one is that the right thing to put on the demijohn. .. I'm going to bottle it in a couple months I'd figure i would bulk age it for a year

And thank you I'll be putting tape over this topic from now on

I always bulk age with a drilled stopper and airlock. Never a solid stopper. Changes in temps and air pressure can cause the bung to pop. (Or worse, just come off just enough to unseal but not fall to the floor.) Especially if the wine is not 100% done degassing or fermenting.
That said, if its ready/safe to bottle, it should be fine bulk aged with a solid stopper...

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Thank you jensmith. ... Yeah usually I put the airlock stopper on it...i wanted to try the solid, I heard that some people use solid stoppers to bulk age, but it definitely is ready to bottle..

I think before you use a solid bung you need to be pretty confident that all the CO2 has been expelled. Not sure if the only reason that the gas will leave the carboy is because of changes in temperature and air pressure - though these factors certainly affect how much CO2 can be held in absorption by the wine. I think too, that as sediment drops out of suspension that acts to nucleate the gas and that means that the gas needs less energy to combine with other molecules of the gas and that means that the gas will tend to gather and expel itself from the carboy. I agree with jensmith and others who suggest that it is better to age with a drilled bung and airlock... unless, as I say, you know that there is no CO2 in your wine.

Thank you bernardsmith. Yeah im going back to the drilled bung just in case...

Latest posts

Back