RTIC65 Mash Tun build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30Bones

Reaction score
So after a couple years with my CO BIAB setup and having enough issues that made me almost quit the hobby I decided to dual purpose my 65 quart camping cooler to a MT. Years ago I used the Coleman Extreme for a MT with success and then I got the BIAB bug.

I am now in the process of building a CPVC manifold/false bottom but am also exploring having a custom stainless false bottom made as well. My 20 gallon electric kettle will now be my HLT and BK and my mash process is now back to being simple, quite, virtually trouble free and cleaning will actually be easier.

IMG_6156-XL.jpg

IMG_6157-XL.jpg

IMG_6158-XL.jpg

The PVC on the valve is simply a spacer to join the valve with the nipple inside. Within that PVC is a 6" stainless shank. The cooler walls are pretty thick and a 6" of stainless is all I had handy and it spaces the ball valve away from the kettle to make operation easier. I can disassemble tonight and snap a pic if needed.

nice manifold. Looks like it oughtta work. I made something similar for a sparge arm, I ended up eliminating half the cvpc ,but its in its simplest form now and works great...gotta be a good "tinkerer" with this hobby.

Thanks and thankfully I batch sparge.

Thanks and thankfully I batch sparge.
so do I . I just use a Tee cpvc sparge arm with drilled holes above my mash so I dont disturb the grain. I had it built like yours,a manifold dealy, where it would sit supported in the top of the tun and ran a tube to it ,but the sparge water found only a couple spots to come out , so I pulled it apart and only have a tee to a couple drilled pieces. No glue such as yours for cleaning.

I can't help but ask, what was your BIAB setup like? How was it a pain in the ass, and harder to clean? All I have is a pot and a bag to clean. I'm curious.

Colorado Brewing 20 gallon "BIAB" system.
  • Mash re circulation (IMHO it's not needed) created a lot of issues from wort not getting through the bed fast enough to starve the element and fry it (multiple times) if you walked away for a hot minute, along with massive temp differences, constant stirring of the grains to keep the flow going no matter the grain crush it seemed.
  • Constant pump adjustment and babysitting. I think it leaves a lot to be desired. Some love it, I liked it, but far from love
  • Efficiency was always all over the map and hitting my numbers was never consistent.
  • Stainless basket is/was a PITA to clean

...I will not miss that damn BIAB setup...Colorado Brewing 20 gallon "BIAB" system... re circulation (IMHO it's not needed) created a lot of issues...Efficiency was always all over the map and hitting my numbers was never consistent....basket is/was a PITA to clean

Your tun build looks great. Everything is neat and clean. Good craftsmanship always shows.

I'm a devoted BIABer, so from my perspective it's a crying shame you had such a bad experience with the technique. Looks like most/all of your problems were related to recirculation. You are correct that recirculation is not even needed (nor is a basket). I think where things went wrong for you was buying the commercially made "system". It was the unnecessary complexity in that system that caused your headaches.

Have fun, and make some great beer with that new tun!

If you ever want to try BIAB again, keep it simple. The basics of my rig are a kettle, a bag, a heat source, and a thermometer. I've never had any of the problems you describe. My efficiency and repeatability are great, as is the beer.

No reason to ever go back to BIAB, while I agree with you and this system being overly complex. Your setup is essentially a MT (well a kettle) with a bag and doing what I plan to do with mine on lower ABV beers and that is no sparge.

2+ years ago I was in the process of building a bottom drain e-keggle to use as an HTL/BK and my cooler MT and then the COBS came on a pretty big sale and I bit. Not bitter about it one bit. I have a very nice electric brewery, all tri clamp and indoors from the elements. I still ong for a dished bottom drain kettle from Stout :cool:

Wow, that does sound like a headache.

I store everything in the basement, and schlep it all out to the detached garage to brew at night after the family goes to bed, clean it outside, and schlep it back. So I keep it simple. Buuuuuut, I have considered a mash tun. ;)

Wow, that does sound like a headache.

I store everything in the basement, and schlep it all out to the detached garage to brew at night after the family goes to bed, clean it outside, and schlep it back. So I keep it simple. Buuuuuut, I have considered a mash tun. ;)

It’s a relatively inexpensive solution to the problems I was dealing with and will make me a happier brewer and want to get these 6 taps filled up rather than giving up on a hobby I have enjoyed for many years.

First brew on the new MT and abandoning the “bag”. Hit my numbers nearly perfect. 83% mash eff and 75% BH eff. I am happy. This cooler while holing temps well, it also sucks all the heat out of the strike water. I had to preheat the cooler, REheat the strike water and then mash in. Granted it is -50 outside and my basement is in the low 50’s.

Back