RTD placement on system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

November

...relax...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the starting phases of building an electric system using Kal's control panel and general design. I was looking at using Stout kettles instead of the boilermakers. The Stouts I am looking at have threaded thermowells. How big of a difference will I see in mounting the RTDs here instead of in tees coming out of the valves on the mlt and hlt? Just looking to streamline things and avoid extra parts.

If you recirculate constantly it's not really that big of a deal at all. I found the mash didn't stratify at all when I was recirculating, probably due to the added mass leading to less heat-loss. I did have stratifying issues when I would do big temp ramps (ie: heating up to strike or mashout) but not when I was maintaining my mash. A simple stir of the water every so often kept it solid.

But if it's an option to get it without the thermowell at the same price or cheaper I'd do it.

Latest posts

Back