RPA - Slight astringency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tribe Fan

Reaction score
Rye Pale Ale:
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
1 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 23.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 16.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [7.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 8.8 IBUs
2.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

I split the batch and this half has WLP056.

Tastes great, but not the best I've done. First batch in a new house, new state, hard well water. I haven't tested it, just gave it a shot.

Brewed Sept 18. 10 days in primary, 12 in secondary, 9 days bottle conditioned at 68F.

Opened one today to see if it was carb'd and it was, with a nice head, if anything slightly over carb'd. Slightly astringent finish that I've never had with any of my beers. I just put some in the fridge to chill for a few days and clear.

I've noticed the astringency on three different batches but discounted it because nothing was through secondary or conditioning. This is the first batch actually ready for drinking.

Edit: 10 gal cooler mash at 154F, fly sparged to the kettle. 69% mash eff, 75% attenuation 1.054 to 1.012. Primary fermentation was a lot longer than I've done as well.

Comments?

[...]
Comments?

This:
hard well water

I'm betting your sparge pH was high causing tannin extraction.
Water is "bigly" important wrt beer quality, and you need to account for what you're using.
Get your water tested, and then use Bru'n Water to get your brewing liquor "right"...

Cheers!

This:

I'm betting your sparge pH was high causing tannin extraction.
Water is "bigly" important wrt beer quality, and you need to account for what you're using.
Get your water tested, and then use Bru'n Water to get your brewing liquor "right"...

Cheers!

It took me so long to find out, but I found out......

Thanks. I ordered some Ward kits. Our RO system is slowly going down hill so I'm having a new one installed in November with a tank big enough to collect brew water.

When I lived in Charlotte we used my buddies well water straight from the ground. Never had it tested but the water table there is pretty soft and the water and brews were all great, I mean really good. Charlotte's one of the few cities that has a profile similar to Pilsen.

I opened a chilled one late last night and it was markedly better. I think the combination of it being warm (68F) and yeasty accentuated the astringency.

It's really good and extremely drinkable, just not as good as some of the other PA's I've done. Equipment and process are the same, water is different (by choice, had to see how this would do).

Cheers!

Back