routan honduras

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer1

Reaction score
my old boss just called me and asked if i would go to roatan Honduras to build a room addition on his house there, he will pay all expenses ,round trip flight , extra charges to ship my tools , food ,and of coarse keep the frig stocked with BEER his the house is right on beach of the Caribbean the problem i am having is being away from the family for 3 months i have been away before but never in a foreign country also there will be a language issue i think since i will have to hire local people . my wife says go for it. it will be a chance to travel. so what would you do?

Bad timing?

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras — Allies of Honduras' ousted President Manuel Zelaya say U.S.-backed talks in Costa Rica Saturday may be the last chance to avert a clash, perhaps even civil war.

Zelaya is threatening to return to his homeland with or without an agreement on ending the standoff and has said Hondurans have a constitutional right to launch an insurrection against an illegitimate government.

A guy I work with has been there twice in the last year or so from what I hear it is amazing. GO and figure out a way to sneak the wife over for a short congical visit.

Google the place it looks beautiful

You won't have a terrible time with language at Roatan- it's so touristy, English is very widely spoken.

But yes, the political unrest there has been pretty bad recently. I would still go, though. After the US, I've lived in Honduras the most, and really like the place. See some soccer while you're there, but you'll have to go to the mainland, probably.

yes shipping my tools does bother me, no hazzard pay but its more than what im making sitting on my fat ars business is way down so its somthing. he is just trying to help me

You can probably sell most of your tools for a profit before you leave & avoid having to ship them back. I've got Roatan on my list of places to go before I'm 50. I remember reading an article in Fortune Small Business that's probably good to read before you go. It will give you an idea of what goes on down there .

Capt. Stanley's unlicensed, DIY shark dives in Honduras - Oct. 21, 2008

Roatan is very cool- great snorkeling and diving. I love to travel, so I'd go at the drop of a hat. I like Belize a bit better, but Roatan is still a great place.

If your passport is good for at least another year, I'd say do it. You'd hate to get caught down there in the middle of what could be a civil war and be forced to overstay your passport. ( I don't think the tourist areas would be affected at all, just that flights in/out may be affected by the politcal unrest).

My next want-to-go-tos are Panama and Nicaragua. I love central America and haven't been there in nearly 5 years. It's beautiful, and I love it. I love hot weather, and the people are awesome. I'm into snorkeling, so I particularly like the beach areas on the Carribean.

I had a blast in Roatan...some of the best diving you'll find.

Scuba_Steve.jpg

It is absolutely beautiful and plenty of tourists come through so you should be OK as long as you watch your back. Good Luck and have fun!

-Tripod

Back