Rotten egg smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieGalea

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed a kolsch style using pilsner, vienna malt and k97 yeast. Temp 17-18 degress celcius for 14 days in primary. When i had a sample during fermentation it tasted nice and sweet but the smell..... oh god.

I bottled anyway. I was impatient and opened one bottle just after 10 days of carbing. Tasted ok but smell was still there.

Will bottle conditioning longer resolve the rotten egg smell issue ?
As for confamination, i would not say so, never had a contamination before....

Might take a while to dissipate. if you are impatient try adding something copper to your glass like a penn. Copper can react with the sulfur and mitigate to an extent. I am doing that with a hard seltzer right now.

Lager yeasts can vary in how much sulfur they produce during fermentation. Extended conditioning times is usually needed to get that to go away. Did you do a diacetyl rest before you bottled or lagered it? I have had experience with the rhino farts to dissipate from a three day long D-rest and then crash for bottling. YMMV

Lager yeasts can vary in how much sulfur they produce during fermentation. Extended conditioning times is usually needed to get that to go away. Did you do a diacetyl rest before you bottled or lagered it? I have had experience with the rhino farts to dissipate from a three day long D-rest and then crash for bottling. YMMV

No i did not. I simply left it in the primary for 2 weeks which gave it that extra couple of days. It was a constant 62-64 F in my garage

Might take a while to dissipate. if you are impatient try adding something copper to your glass like a penn. Copper can react with the sulfur and mitigate to an extent. I am doing that with a hard seltzer right now.
Will a Bic Biro do or does it need to be a proper ink pen? Does the colour matter?

Back