Rope/twine advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaymond

Reaction score
I need a good source of roping for my setup. I'll be using about 200' of rope and I used tomato jute (a derp moment on my part) which decomposed and broke significantly at the end of July and August. I was worried I was going to lose some harvest and waited out as long as I could.

I was thinking of using 1/4" Manila rope or a similar sisal rope. I was thinking about using something that will be biodegradable as I'll be hacking it all down come harvest anyway out of ease.

View attachment 1426766104696.jpg

What is your experience with certain rope or what is your "go to" rope for stringing up your hops? Any advice from the community would be welcome. Thanks!

Jute twine was recommended to me from some local hop farmers and I found this at Hobby Lobby: 28# Jute Twine

597088_2.jpg

I am using a doubled length of sisal baler twine that I had on hand.

The 8 poles worth I planted last year spent the winter hanging around in the wind and rain, and they finally broke free of the ground last week during a wind storm.

While I am sure that the coir is a better (stronger) choice, I have this, and am not adverse to having to deal with any issues it may cause... I can afford time that would cause a commercial grower to have conniptions.

TeeJo

Bailer twine, Unfortunately it comes in a 3500' roll. If you need 200' let me know. It works the best and I tried almost everything.

Thanks for reminding me that I needed to pick up some twine!

I don't have a tractor supply nearby, so I looked on ebay and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151603897535

Hasn't been delivered yet, so fingers crossed that it will work. The single ply makes me nervous.

Thanks for reminding me that I needed to pick up some twine!

I don't have a tractor supply nearby, so I looked on ebay and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151603897535

Hasn't been delivered yet, so fingers crossed that it will work. The single ply makes me nervous.

What is the tensile (breaking) strength. The twine I use is about 125lb or so. It sure stops a mower blade fast when it gets into it! Any one need some small quantities let me know. I also have a ton or 1/4 cable clamps I will get rid of, I over ordered. .65 ea.

I've always used braided wire (can't remember the gauge) in 20' lengths, strung from the fence post to second story rafters. They lasted the seven years we had the house. As far as I know the wire and the hops are still there....

What is the tensile (breaking) strength. The twine I use is about 125lb or so. It sure stops a mower blade fast when it gets into it! Any one need some small quantities let me know. I also have a ton or 1/4 cable clamps I will get rid of, I over ordered. .65 ea.

It says 200lb, but we will see. I'd take you up on the offer but need over 1800'

Bailer twine, Unfortunately it comes in a 3500' roll. If you need 200' let me know. It works the best and I tried almost everything.

Is this the orange hay bale twine? Would a 110 tensile strength be good enough? In my setup, I have a southern wind block from my fence and a westerly wind block from the house and fence. With Illinois storm season approaching, I have to use something that is lightweight, yet durable. It also has to hold up from May to September without falling apart on me. Last year, I could pull the twine apart easily around the end of July, and by the end of August, many of my plants were being supported with an aluminum wire tied around supports. It has to be able to hold at least 20+ lbs of plant material plus withstand wind. As I said last year is made the mistake of tomato jute, which was biodegradable and had a 7 lb limit.

If baling twine works well and can hold up, it would be easy to use and cheap.

Is this the orange hay bale twine? Would a 110 tensile strength be good enough? In my setup, I have a southern wind block from my fence and a westerly wind block from the house and fence. With Illinois storm season approaching, I have to use something that is lightweight, yet durable. It also has to hold up from May to September without falling apart on me. Last year, I could pull the twine apart easily around the end of July, and by the end of August, many of my plants were being supported with an aluminum wire tied around supports. It has to be able to hold at least 20+ lbs of plant material plus withstand wind. As I said last year is made the mistake of tomato jute, which was biodegradable and had a 7 lb limit.

No not the orange or blue biogradeable plastic. This is sisal.. I will find a pic on their site. I have used this for 5 plus years and it works great. I have never had ir break yet. I just use one length and put an loop in one end and throw it over the wire and make a slip not and tie it to the bottom wire, Here is a link. it is longer than I thought and a tensile strength of 190.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg;-16000-ft-round-baler-twine-190-lb-tensile

Do not use the plastic it seems to stunt the bines with some, plus it takes forever to decompose.

One other advantage is it comes in a roll unlike the coir jute that I tried that came in lengths and gets all tangled up.
Hope it helps.

No not the orange or blue biogradeable plastic. This is sisal.. I will find a pic on their site. I have used this for 5 plus years and it works great. I have never had ir break yet. I just use one length and put an loop in one end and throw it over the wire and make a slip not and tie it to the bottom wire, Here is a link. it is longer than I thought and a tensile strength of 190.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg;-16000-ft-round-baler-twine-190-lb-tensile

Do not use the plastic it seems to stunt the bines with some, plus it takes forever to decompose.

One other advantage is it comes in a roll unlike the coir jute that I tried that came in lengths and gets all tangled up.
Hope it helps.

What's the diameter on it? 190 lb tensile would have to be pretty thick. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks Ray, I used what was on hand, which was essentially a bale of twine that the rats had done a job on at some point, so it got chucked into a back corner of the old shop.

Glad to hear that it is actually some good stuff.

FWIW, I took a stick and rammed the leftover end of the twine into the ground directly in front of the newly planted bines last, oh, midsummer or so, if that gives anyone ideas as to the durability of the stuff based on my limited sample size. I didn't bother with anchors as I figured the bines themselves would pretty much grab and hold on,and because there are fairly few really windy days here.
The stuff that was above ground has held up very well, in my estimation.

TeeJo

4mm hemp cord, far stronger than jute or sisal and far easier on your hands when working with it. It's also more flexible, so easier to knot and unknot. I build demijohn/carboy hoisting nets out of the stuff.

No one per hill, it is 190 tensil. say 100" to be safe. How do you attach the top is it a line across the top or a pole straight up? PM me if you want it. Ray

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update - just in case anyone is looking for twine this season.

I purchased two boxes of "Sisal Tying Twine Rope 3000', 1 ply - 200 lb tensile" off of ebay a few years back. The stuff works great. I finally ran out and had to reorder. About $20 a box for 3000 feet.

Hundreds of hops strung so far - with no breakage. I did notice that the few strings left up over winter had completely deteriorated... So it really is a one season use. I guess you could always double it up if you are concerned. My rows are all 16-20' tall.

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 3.20.45 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 3.20.50 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 3.20.53 PM.jpg

Back