Rogue Chocolate stout hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
I used a recipe on here that was supposed to be from Zymurgy. It called for 3 oz of hops 1 oz @ 90 30 and knockout. On other sites for this same recipe it calls for 4 oz 1 oz @ 90 60 30 and knockout. I'm guessing it was probably a typo where someone forgot a hop addition. I ordered only 3 oz. Should it be fine? I have an ounce of simcoe laying around, but no spare cascade. +no local stores to go to.

Post the recipe? Also, post the AA% of the hops that you have.

It's possible that the AA% of the hops were different.

I'm not at home, so all I can tell you is AHS (where I ordered) website says 5% AA.

5 U.S. gallons (19 liters)
O.G. 1.060 (15 P)
IBU: 69

11.0 lb. Great Western 2-row pale malt
.5 lb. 120L Crystal Malt
.5 lb. Chocolate Malt
.5 lb. Rolled Oats
3.0 oz. Roast Barley
1.5 oz. Chocolate extract (in secondary)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (90 mins)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (30 mins)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (knockout)
1.0 tsp. Irish moss (20 mins)

Wyeast 1764 Pacman Ale Yeast

So if you ordered 3 oz of hops, it looks like you should be good to go? AA is the same and everything.

yeah the problem is every other recipe that is supposed to be from the same magazine says 4 oz, so I think whoever posted the recipe I was looking at forgot a hop addition. So it looks like I ordered an oz too little.
What if I used .5 an oz of Simcoe in substitution? or should I just leave it?

Okay after thinking about it. I think I am going to use a half ounce of Simcoe at knockout. I can use my cascade for the 90 60 and 30 min boil so the IBU will be right. The aroma will be slightly different, but I think of Simcoe as a juiced up cascade with a little pine.

Anyone want to talk me down from this?

Okay after thinking about it. I think I am going to use a half ounce of Simcoe at knockout. I can use my cascade for the 90 60 and 30 min boil so the IBU will be right. The aroma will be slightly different, but I think of Simcoe as a juiced up cascade with a little pine.

Anyone want to talk me down from this?

I would talk you down, but it sounds good.

Latest posts

Back