Rodi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RO/DI is usually how it is written. I have one for my fish tank.

The water is quite pure coming out of it (4 total filters). I'd say it is a waste of time (and water). I never do any water modifications, though, so ignore my opinion.

Yes Reverse Osmosis/Deinoized Water=RO/DI. I have the filter already im just wandering if i can use it strait without having to add any minerals. Im making a partial mash tonight and i dont want to go buy bottled spring water. Also by the way does bottled water have chloramines?

Thank you for all you help i have been searching but all i find is about RO only not RO/di

I have tried using RO/DI as well as WFI(Water for Injection) in brewing, I find that my local boston water or bottled poland spring tastes better. Its the characteristics in water that make beer good im not sure why you would want to brew with as pure a water as you can get.

I've never mashed with RO/DI water. I don't believe it's recommend for an AG beer due to both efficiency and flavor concerns. Since this is a partial, I suppose the extract could reduce some of the flavor concerns, but I've never tried it and would still worry about the effect on the mash portion.

Maybe im over thinking this but when they make the malt extract all the minerals in the water that they used are going to be in the final extract. so wouldnt I by using RO/DI (pretty much pure water) just bring me back to the original mineral composition of the water? and by using tap water wouldnt it totally alter the mineral composition (minerals in the malt plus the new minerals in the tap water) thus making my water extra hard?

Or am I just over thinking this? and the differences wouldnt be noticeble?

Thank you.

Yes, that would be true for the extract portion. I often use RO/DI water, look now you've got me saying it, for my extract brews with no problem, but, you say this is a partial mash. Do you mean a true partial mash, where you will be extracting a sizable portion of fermentable sugars from a base grain or are you doing an extract with steeping grain recipe?

RO/DI... Should remove a chloromines...with a couple seditary & carbon filters... Then the RO/DI

should be super pure water!

don't know if it's true or wives tale but heard not to drink it straight as it will pull minerals from your body to the water...

we know who has the reef tanks! Lol

If you drank RODI in large quantities it would pull salt ions (Sodium, calcium, Mg, Ma, etc) across the cells walls of your stomach lining. Basically you're upset the osmotic pressure across the cell wall and initiate a salt transfer. I'm not exactly sure what the end result would be, but I don't think it would be good.

We use RODI to make buffers for bioprocessing. Basically anything and everything is stripped out of the water. Sure you could use it, but I would think it's overkill. If you're worried about the minerals in your water just rig up a carbon filter coming from your facet.

Back