Rockport or Fulton Texas anybody?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, we've arbitarily decided to spend 6 weeks near Rockport, Texas this winter. We've never been there but have some friends in Port Aransas so decided to find a cheap rental on the water and go stay from the end of January through the first week of March.

I've been to South Padre Island (not recently- about 12 years ago) but never in the area just north of Corpus Christi on the gulf.

I'm mostly into kayaking and hiking and fishing, so it looks like a fine place for that. I know that there is a bird sanctuary in Aransas Pass. What else is there to see/do? How's the weather in february? Anything we shouldn't miss doing? And last, but not least, where do I find good beer? :D

It shouldn't be too cold that far south in February. It might be a little chilly for playing in the water, but then again you're from up north so our chilly might be a warm day for you.

I'm not familiar with anything down there, but if you are driving or planning on roaming Texas there is St. Arnold's in Houston and Austin has many small breweries, brewpubs and bars with respectable beer lists.

I'll be honest, I've never had a Rahr beer and I've lived/around Fort Worth for 26 years. I hear they are very mediocre. There is a brewery north of Dallas (Franconia) with some decent beers. Otherwise we have some decent bars in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Rahr Ugly Pug is great. Stormcloud is a good IPA for people who aren't into hops explosion in your brain IPAs.

Shiner Bock is everywhere. Black is the best.

Hey no fair, you waiting until I was out of Texas to come down & visit. Grrrr. When's your next trip to the Phoenix area?

My old neighbor in Texas uses the vrbo.com and takes the family down to Port Aransas each year. He loves going that route & told me to check it out when I lived there. So +1 on vrbo

Back