Holding a Candle for Malty Dark Beers in CA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoIguanaForZ

Reaction score
So I'm out here on the West Coast...ish. (Sacramento). Despite being, according to people overly familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area, Not A City, we are rather blessed in terms of beer culture and microbreweries. Unfortunately, being on the West Coast, we still get hit with the "HOPS! HOPS! HOPS! *pantpantpant* HOPS!" thing. Now, I don't think there's actually anything wrong with people who like hoppy beer, per se, but I have too many experiences of walking into a place that advertises "craft beer on tap" and finding they have 3 IPAs, 2 Double IPAs, a hoppy Red, a couple hoppy pale ales, a hoppy Amber, a Hefeweizen, and, if I'm lucky, one porter OR a stout that's not Guinness (and may, in fact be hoppy too) - in fact, I've been served an IPA-like *"BARLEYWINE"* at least once (is NOTHING sacred? D:) I like malty medium to dark beers. Roast, toast, caramel, smoky, chocolate/coffee/vanilla notes.... My go-to "Favorite" was Ballast Point's Victory at Sea, for a while, largely because I refuse to let myself select as my "favorite" a one-off beer I'll never be able to get again. I don't expect to ever forgive The Bruery for discontinuing Smoking Wood.

I'd been thinking idly about homebrewing for a good couple of years, but I started researching pretty intensively last November, finding HomeBrewTalk among other sites, and "what do you want for Christmas?"ed into an extract-level starter kit last year. I brewed my first batch - an extract-and-specialty-grain American Stout - in January, bottle conditioned it until mid-to-late February, and found that between fermentation temperatures around 72 F or above and the three weeks I'd given it in primary, it'd taken on a noticeably "Belgian" character. I went through a few more extract-and-specialty grain batches, increasingly tweaking them, and upgraded to all-grain equipment over the summer. My eleventh batch (fifth all-grain) is in secondary now, and I have three more tweaked recipe kits planned out on the way to brewing an original (to my knowledge) recipe after Christmas to have ready for my birthday in April. I've noticed an off flavor here and there, but have yet to brew anything undrinkable or even entirely unpleasant (though the over-hop-utilization'ed, sulfate-and-sodium-y Briess-extract-based milk stout came close, when I first opened the bottle; it mellowed out over a couple months, thankfully).

Outside of beer, I enjoy cooking, gardening, puns, and a couple other hobbies... I graduated with a double major in Mechanical Engineering and Physics almost two years ago, and work for a small local firm dealing with air quality issues. I have an 11 year old who is often helpful with the brewing process, wants to be a conservation biologist, and has constructed a massive, elaborate anthropological and biological corpus on fairies, and a ridiculous cat who is generally unhelpful with the brewing process and whose interest in fairies, I am told, is purely gustatory.

So, um, yeah... *waves*

*...takes the Fourier transform* :D

Welcome!

If you can get it try Heretic shallow grave. Really good porter and they're based out of Fairfield, which is fairly close to Sactown.

Welcome to HBT! Well this is spooky.......

I too am stuck in the armpit of CA, better known as Sacramento. Well Orangevale to be exact, a quickly deteriorating suburb of Sacramento.

I too share your love of malt, although I do appreciate the hops as well. As long as its beer I am OK with it.

I got my degree in Civil Engineering and now work in Water Quality for the State.

I recently switched form extract to AG as well, and I am still working out the kinks in my process.

My wife and I also love to cook, garden, and brew/drink beer.

We have twin boys who will be 4 in December and have accumulated enough Hot Wheels to mobilize an army of your kid's fairies. While the hobbies, free time, and spare money have greatly diminished since their conception, we would not trade them for the world.

So welcome again, and brew on!:mug:

I work in Water quality for The City and County of San Francisco. Were you there during the transition from CDPH to SWRCB? And if so how does it seem from the inside?

nDub,
I actually work for the Regional WQCB. I did a stint with the State Board for a bit but I haven't been around long enough to experience it when they were CDPH. State work isn't bad, my department is constantly busy so I don't experience the typical state worker stereotype.

The ad shown next to this post seems rather fitting. Also, welcome!

-- Nathan

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 1.51.01 PM.png

Uh....what? I just had it the other day at the tasting room? Or do you just mean distribution?

Last time I was there I was told it wasn't going to be brewed in the future. (I have two growlers sitting in my refrigerator, though. ^.^) I haven't been following it closely, though. If they've backed off on that to just distribution, I guess that helps, but I frankly wasn't thrilled with my (second, anyway) visit to their tasting room either...

I hadn't heard that one, but it could be true. I go once a month or so, and they never seem to have their best beers in constant rotation. They keep coming out with off the wall stuff, and, for me, 2/3 of them are a dud lately... I'm hoping the transition to Terreux will help them in the long run, and this is just growing pains right now, but they seem to be getting a little TOO experimental instead of keeping more, solid regulars on tap (Berrazzled needs to be year round!!!)

Welcome!

If you can get it try Heretic shallow grave. Really good porter and they're based out of Fairfield, which is fairly close to Sactown.

Shallow Grave is great, I love that beer. Going to be going to the brewery in about a week or so.

Welcome to HBT! Well this is spooky.......

I too am stuck in the armpit of CA, better known as Sacramento. Well Orangevale to be exact, a quickly deteriorating suburb of Sacramento.

Well not like Modesto is much better and I moved here willingly from the Bay Area. Anyways there are some good taprooms around here and in Turlock that have a nice selection of non-hoppy beers.

Oh Victory at Sea... I wanted to like it, hell, I wanted to love it, but it felt like I was drinking triple-strength French Roast infused with copious roasted and caramel malts, then carbonated. I like strong, dark coffee, but I don't like my beer to be strong, dark coffee. Same way I didn't like Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - I'm here to drink beer, not carbonated bourbon steeped with way too much caramel malt.

Oh Victory at Sea... I wanted to like it, hell, I wanted to love it, but it felt like I was drinking triple-strength French Roast infused with copious roasted and caramel malts, then carbonated. I like strong, dark coffee, but I don't like my beer to be strong, dark coffee. Same way I didn't like Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - I'm here to drink beer, not carbonated bourbon steeped with way too much caramel malt.

*makes a note*

Heh, it's funny. I don't like coffee that tastes like coffee, or alcohol that tastes more like alcohol than a <18% beer. I'm not sure I've met an alcohol that tastes like coffee I didn't like, though.

*makes a note*

Heh, it's funny. I don't like coffee that tastes like coffee, or alcohol that tastes more like alcohol than a <18% beer. I'm not sure I've met an alcohol that tastes like coffee I didn't like, though.

Funny, our local brew club had a monthly meeting just last month and the main talk (and accompanying tastings) was all about coffee-based beers. :) Victory at Sea was on the list, IIRC... or was it Calm Before the Storm? I should see if I can find the list, because many were sensational.

I'm all about malt over hops, too, so you're not alone! There's a great local Brewhouse for our kind, too., if you ever make it South to L.A. Welcome! :mug:

Back