Rocking a keg to carbonate? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zJ0n

Reaction score
I see a lot of people doing this, and a lot of tutorials for it. I will be serving this beer to important people, however time is too short, so this fast method would be nice. The beer has been fermenting for a good 2 1/2 weeks.

So does anyone do this? Are there any disadvantages or suffer in quality?

Also, should the beer be rocked until carbonated? Or should it be rocked until almost carbonated, then put in the fridge for a day or 2?

Thanks

Here is what I do...

I rack from the secondary into a keg which has been purged of air by CO2. Then after filling the carboy and burping it to purge any more air out I drive up the pressure to 35 psi. It goes into the fridge for a day or two over which time I keep adding pressure to 35 psi to ensure I get carbonation. At times I will also carbonate through the 'out' so it actually bubbles into the beer. From what I gather, all of this will carbonate faster than having it sit at 10 psi for days on end. However, I would recommend leaving it sit quietly as you approach the day you want to serve it - otherwise it is like a shaken can of pop!

Not sure if I answered your question, but hope it helps.

B

I have found carbonating quickly gives the beer a sharp bite that requires a couple days at serving pressure to correct. Some say shaking the keg utilizes head retention proteins that you can't get back later. I have never noticed this but I have only done it 1 or 2 times.

IME shaking a keg to force carbonate is not worth the effort, unless you want carbonated beer immediately, and even then the the taste is sub par. What I do if I am in a rush is just to crank the pressure to 30psi and let it sit 24-36 hours, and then back it down to serving pressure. YMMV

Back