Rochester makes me brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sister in law is in school up there. We went up last new years. Boy it was freaking cold. Snowed for like 3 straight days once we got there. Some really awesome wineries up that way, though. I love the Seneca lakes whites i got.

Welcome to Homebrewtalk Yankee. I was born in Rochester in the middle of the last century and have been living here on the Gulf Coast for 9 years.

This is the time of year I miss being in upstate NY. We use to ride around the Finger Lakes looking at the fall colors,stopping at the fruit stands and having lunch in Naples.

Is Genesee still making that Colon Cleaner, Cream Ale and Bock in the spring.

I also remember 12 Horse Ale and Tam o'Shanter Ale.

Happy Bottling, and you will learn a lot from the fine people on this board.

Howdy from the hell that is Western NY.

Ditto! I just joined the forum myself. I've lived east of Rochester (in 315-land) for the last 11 years and work in the city. I got the urge to try making some mead again (last batch was years ago in Ohio, nothing to speak of) so I'm going to start a couple of small batches of Ancient Orange this weekend.

Dave

Hey locals! I am in Canandaigua. You all should come check out the New York Wine and Culinary Center. I work in the tasting room and we don't just do wine we always have 7 craft brews on tap for tasting! And we have a decent selection of by the bottle beers. All beers and wine in the center are New York only.

On another note don't go to the LHBS at Eastview they are such a PITA. They even took their grain mill out because "it was too messy." Well how the hell do they think I am going to crush my grain? According to them "they should have some mills I can buy soon." How convenient...

Beers of the world for the win!

Msbeer: Yeah, I love the weather around here once we get into Fall and Winter. I grew up in Ithaca, so this is pretty close to the weather I'm used to (though Ithaca doesn't get lake effect from Cayuga). And I think Genny is trying to switch more toward their Dundee brand, aside from brewing more LaBatt stuff (who just bought the brewery, I believe).

I live in Fairport, so the LHBS near Eastview is the closest, though I never go there. I went in once and found their supplies severely lacking. Everything I've heard from other people corroborates that.

Beers of The World has an expensive strangle hold on me. :p It's hard to walk out of there with less than $100 of beer in my arm.

I went to school in Rochester, and now I live back in my hometown, Jamestown.

I haven't met any brewers in the jtown area yet.

When in Rochester I frequented Rohrbachs. Good beer.

I didn't even know there was a store at Eastview. I buy my stuff from Mayer's Cider Mill in Webster. (It's on the way home from work.) They seem to have more stuff for making wine than beer, but that's not surprising since they have vinyards and sell fresh grapes and juice.

Dave

The only stuff I buy locally is specialty malt and the random hop variety. Otherwise I try to buy as much as I can in bulk. Just got a 55# bag of Maris Otter, a pound of First Gold, and a pound of Fuggles. All pretty cheap online.

Hinermad: In the Eastview plaza area there's a place called Sunset Hydroponics and Homebrew. It's just down the hill from that gas station on the same side of 96 that Eastview is on. Very 'meh', in my opinion.

Hinermad: In the Eastview plaza area there's a place called Sunset Hydroponics and Homebrew. It's just down the hill from that gas station on the same side of 96 that Eastview is on. Very 'meh', in my opinion.

Okay, I think I've seen that name before. Eastview's kind of a long drive for me though, about 45 minutes. There used to be a nice little cooking & brewing store in Village Gate just a few blocks from where I work but it closed several years ago.

I wish I lived in Toronto with my fiancee. They seem to have brewing & winemaking places all over. Some of the shops even let you do your thing in their facilities (for a price, I'm sure) so you don't have fermenters burping all over the carpet in the spare bedroom. A year ago someone at Mayers told me they were going to do that at their place near Hilton, but I haven't heard any more about it.

Dave

Looks like there are enough of us close enough to do some bulk buying of grain and such. I am new to brewing so I wouldn't really know where to start with this, but it is something we should take advantage of sometime. I would love to brew together at some point also.

Just wanted to throw in my "Hey Now!" to the Western NY crowd. I'm from Williamson, myself. I got drunk for the first time on wild-fermented cider literally at the bottom of an apple barrel. I think I was twelve. Rochester may be a gigantic open wound, but there's good people out there, and don't forget Southern Tier Brewing, only about an hour away!

Greetings from Spencerport.

Sunset Hydroponics and Homebrew near Eastview..... yeah..... I'm not gonna disagree with anything here on that. They may get me out of a pinch once and a while, but if I can thank them for anything it would be my conversion to buying supplies online or Niagara Homebrew Traditions in Buffalo when working out there.

Welcome to the nut house!

Hidey Ho Neighbors! I may have met some of you guys. I was a volunteer serving Ithaca Beer at the Flour City Brew Fest in Rochester earlier this year.

Hidey Ho Neighbors! I may have met some of you guys. I was a volunteer serving Ithaca Beer at the Flour City Brew Fest in Rochester earlier this year.

This was the first year since I've been in Rochester that I wasn't able to get to the Flour City Brew Fest. I think I was at a wedding (makes sense, I went to 6 of them over the summer, ugh).

Someone said I had to post in here.. so I am.. I hate the power of suggestion, damn you Chumprock.

If you remember the festival well then it wasn't that good.. just a point.

Okay, so yea, clearly I am from Rochester.. been here awhile.. best homebrew forum out there IMO. I'm a busy person so I've not been on here much.

If you are interested in bulk grain buys let me know. I recently orchestrated one and will be tackling that endeavor again. You can send me a PM on here and we'll open up communications as to when it will be happening. If I get enough interest we can just do it sooner. I am trying to work a way in which the shipping costs will be all but nullified. The more the merrier, all that crap.

Now I am here again.. been 6 weeks.. so now I have to read all the posts, etc. Well at least it will make for a better Friday than actually working.

Back