Robust porter fermentation fail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeycb

Reaction score
We just did our first all grain porter.

My friend bought the ingredients. And it seems that the malt and grain were all mixed together in the same bag. We did the brew process the same as normal. At least we think. We pitched the yeast. And after 24 hours it doesn't seem to be fermenting as it should be. Is it normal for the grain and malt to be in the same bag. ?

G

To follow up. In the past all my extract brews seemed to ferment a lot more aggressively.

Did we have a bad yeast?
Is the malt and grain suppose to be together?

Is there any other problems I should be considering?

did you steep the grains differently to ensure that you kept the temperature steady while the sugars formed? All-grain needs a separate steep to allow the sugars to form. Your previous extract kits w/ specialty grain have pre-converted grains. Using fresh grain you need to steep differently to allow time for the starch to convert.

When you brew all grain, usually all the grains (malted or unmalted) are mashed together. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking? How did you mash? How did you sparge? How was your efficiency? Were your volumes/gravities near where they should be?

Yes, you mash all the grains together.

Have you ever run a company or been in charge of a group of people? Could you get all of them on a schedule and all working on the same task? Do you think you can make yeast work the same every time?

Change the temperature a few degrees and the yeast speed up or slow down. Give them a different job than they were expecting and schedules fall apart. Yeast do what they do when they want. Once you add yeast to the wort you aren't in charge any more, the yeast are. As long as you have fermentation, RDWHAHB.

Thanks... Sorry I don't think I posted that question very clearly. But I think I figured out my problem..

Thanks again

Back