Roasting Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadDoc

Reaction score
Ok so Radical brewing for a recipe says to roast oats at 300F until they smell like cookies.... well 300F sounds way to high!!! And Chello (a member here and an employee of BMW) says he roasted for 1-1.5Hours but I never got a temp from him on that.

Can anyone enlighten me with the temp?

There is a lot of personal variation but I roast mine for 15-20 minutes at 375. It doesn't smell exactly like cookies when I'm done, but it is a very pleasant oat smell nonetheless

Remember, you are trying to slightly burn (Maillard reaction) the oats. 300-375F is reasonable.

I roasted some oats at 300 for 45 - 50 minutes for an oatmeal stout. It was too long.

Long story short, they were all golden brown, and turned several times. Problem was they had a very strong odor. That smell carried over to the final brew. I let them sit overnight in a brown paper bag, reading elsewhere, I found that it should be left over a week or two for the volatile smells to dissipate.

Edit: 300... not 200

I've only roasted one batch, which I did at 300°F for 30 minutes. It smelled good when I took it out, but because I let it cool in the hot pan it kept roasting. I'd recommend pouring the hot oats onto a jellyroll pan (large, thin surface area would allow it to cool faster). In the end it smelled like burnt popcorn. I let it sit in a paper bag for two weeks and the acrid smell largely went away.

Also, the higher your temperature the narrower the "done" range will be. If you choose a lower temperature, your window for success will be wider.

Resurrecting this hoping for a reply, but can someone shed some light on the types of oats you should be roasting. I've heard different things about rolled, flaked, instant, and quick oats. Thanks in advance

One thing I haven't really seen discussed is the thickness of the layer when cooking them. I did 1.5# on a half sheet pan which was a pretty thick layer. I should have split it between two layers.

I went at 300 and stirred them up every 20 minutes for about 100 minutes.

Back