Roasting Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaqhugh

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this before? I was wondering what kind of flavors this might give the beer and if it would affect the AA%? I would imagine that by cooking it you would reduce the AA%. Anyone ever try it?

Has anyone ever tried this before? I was wondering what kind of flavors this might give the beer and if it would affect the AA%? I would imagine that by cooking it you would reduce the AA%. Anyone ever try it?

What I know:
You'd cook off most of the volatile compounds that lend flavor and aroma to your beer.

What I think:
You'd be left with slightly browned leaves and heavy resins and it would end up tasting like roasted brussels sprouts beer.

my 2 cents.

I haven't done it, but others have tried it. I'm not sure there's any definitive proof as to what the final results are, but some claim that you actually increase utilization because roasting them at a high temp without burning may improve the amount of oil that is extracted, while others claim what wendelgee said and you may actually lose a little something by roasting.

If you're interested, I'd say try it. Do a split batch and just use the hops in a traditional manner for 2.5 gal and try the roasted hops in the other 2.5 gal. Give them a try side by side and see what you get. You'll have beer either way, but you'll at least see what kind of effect it has.

lol i wonder what smokin hops tastes like...maybe ill try it

as for losing aa% thats okay i would only roast like .25 oz of my bittering hops

I was thinking about doing a split batch but i think i am just gonna do a small 2 gallon batch for this experimental honey ryepa i am working on

saw the hop roasting in this video on solar brewing

Also this is going to be my first all grain and i was wondering if you should roast malts before they are cracked or after?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also this is going to be my first all grain and i was wondering if you should roast malts before they are cracked or after?

Wait. You're going to do your first AG, plus roasting malts for the first time, plus roasting hops for the first time?

You're fearless. :rockin:

Don't take my word for it because I have never done it or tried it but it sounds stange, Thier is no way in my opinion for hop to gain any advantage in this. Wendelgee2 is right it would be brown leaves with less or no value to your beer. My personal opinon and I could be very wrong, but this idea sounds like it came from someone smokin more then just hops or the other green leaf. I just don't see how it could roast and hold in any value.

I haven't roasted hops, but I have deep fried them and sauteed them - for brewing. Maybe the idea for roasting is the same for my hop cooking - to isomerize the alpha acids in advance so you don't need to do a long boil. Or possibly improve the utilization over the typical 38% (?) of a std. 60 min. addition.

"It is unexpectedly been discovered that roasting hop solids results in two interesting benefits. First, the residual alpha acids in the hop solids are destroyed and the resulting hopped malt beverage is light stable. Second, roasting the hop solids further enhances the fruity/estery hop character imparted by the hop solids."

I know that roasting hops definitely lowers the alpha acids but I'm wondering by how much? Iv'e been doing a bunch of research into sour beers and apparently roasting hops at no more than 93 degrees Celsius until they turn brown is a short cut to ageing hops. Does anyone know a ball park figure of the reduction of alpha acids?

Heat accelerates the breakdown of alpha acids & aromatic oils in hops.
http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/04/15/brewing-hops-storage-preserving-precious-hops/

You might gain an interesting flavour from roasting hops, but I think you'd still need to add regular unroasted hops for bittering. I think the roasted hops might be useful only in a dry hop role. Then again, you might get some serious off flavours from them.

I hope you do this & report back, I'm really curious as to what your results will be.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Back