Roasting Barley for Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjornbrewer

Reaction score
St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milk
Hey guys and gals,

I'd like to make a Scottish Ale 80/- but I'd like to try roasting my own malt. Here's the issue, the recipe calls for .25# of roasted barley which I know is unmalted...will it make a big difference if I roast malted barley to get the same color/roasty flavor? Will the fact that it being malted have a huge impact on the beer?

The recipe is simple and looks like this:
9# pale
.25# roasted barley

20 IBU of East Kent Golding at 60 min

Mash at 156F

From Daniels' book oven toasting creates a brown malt.

I don't think you will get the same roasted character as you would get from roasted barley or chocolate malt. Either of those are appropriate in a Scottish ale as long as the roasted flavor doesn't overpower the malt character of the style. A little goes a long way.

Some suggest taking the 1st gallon drained from the mash and boil down to 1/2 gal to caramelize and add that into the boil. 90 minute boil time is also suggested to increase malt character.

Roasting malted barley will get you somewhere close to black patent malt. It will work but the flavor is not the same. If you know of anyone that has a coffee roaster to borrow, that would be the ideal tool to do it.

Flaked barley is unmalted, so you might want to try that instead.

Back