Roasted jalapeno beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBrewHawk

Reaction score
A coworker of mine started brewing this year, and has a couple of extract batches under his belt. His jalapenos are starting to look good out in his garden, and he wants to attempt a roasted jalapeno brew. I told him I would ask the pro's on the forums here. He said he wants the jalapeno to be the star of the show, and he's really into spicy food. So, what type of extract kit/recipe would be a good base for this? What is the best way to incorporate them? Pureed and added to the boil, or maybe added to the fermenter? Any tips with this style would be appreciated- thanks!

Firey sweetness Jalapeño ale
5 gallons
OG = 1.040 FG = 1.008

5 lbs pale malt extract
8 oz crystal 10 (steep)
Whirlfloc tablet
1 oz cascade (.5 oz at 45 min, .5 oz at 5 min)
12 jalapeños cut in half
3 cups of your favorite berries (I like my berries black)
wlp 001 or wyeast 1056

Steep crystal add extract as normal.

Cool pitch yeast. Ferment for a week. Rack to secondary on top of peppers and berries. Secondary for 2-3 weeks. Bottle as normal

A coworker of mine started brewing this year, and has a couple of extract batches under his belt. His jalapenos are starting to look good out in his garden, and he wants to attempt a roasted jalapeno brew. I told him I would ask the pro's on the forums here. He said he wants the jalapeno to be the star of the show, and he's really into spicy food. So, what type of extract kit/recipe would be a good base for this? What is the best way to incorporate them? Pureed and added to the boil, or maybe added to the fermenter? Any tips with this style would be appreciated- thanks!

I would Fire roast them, and Add to secondary, Pureed with about 1 or 2 cups of the beer. LOW hops, like maybe .50oz bittering and keep it simple and pale, like maybe 6lbs extra light DME Nottingham yeast, maybe steep a lb of a low crystal like 20 or 30.

I imagine roasting the peppers would lend a nice smoky flavor and I would prob steep some smoked malt also. IMHO

Whatever you do lose the seeds. They can cause bitterness. If ya want the heat of the peppers leave the pith (white fleshy part). Roasting the peppers will bring out the sugars in the peppers and give you a nice depth of flavor.

I have given thought to beers like this, but from a marinade/cooking standpoint only. Of which I think they would be great.

That being said. When I was playing the Chef game, at one restaurant I worked at as a Sous Chef I was basically the pastry chef as well and I would make sorbets. One of them I created was a jalapeno margarita sorbet. Essentially a frozen margarita with the kick and slight flavor of jalapeno. It was amazing. Now as a drink alone I would definitely imbibe that beverage.

I used 1 oz./5 gal of chipotles (smoked jalapenos) in a smoked porter. The beer turned out GREAT. I added the chipotles at the end of the boil, seeds and all.

opmg7l.jpg

I home smoke malts, using different kinds of wood, all have turned out fantastic, each giving a different kind of aroma and taste.

I also smoke loads of peppers from my garden, Maybe EdWorts Haus Pale, up the mash temp to 154, sub c-40 for the c-10 and add in a couple smoked Jalapenos. Should be a bit maltier, light enough on the hops to let the pepper shine, and have enough mouthfeel to bring it all together.

I think I am going to add this one to the brew-cue.

Thanks a lot for the info. Man, those are all fantastic ideas! I'd like to learn more about that sorbet, too. The fiery sweetness recipe sounds good to me, but he has told me before that he's not much into fruit flavored beers. Maybe just omit the berries? If he wanted to use an extract kit to build off of, what would you guys recommend? A basic American pale ale kit?

Awesome! Thanks Native. I'm gonna let him read this at work. And as far as that chipotle porter, wouldn't that be tasty if you took that a little further and did something like a chipotle chocolate stout?? Def not a session beer but it could be an interesting experience...

BigBrewHawk said:
Awesome! Thanks Native. I'm gonna let him read this at work. And as far as that chipotle porter, wouldn't that be tasty if you took that a little further and did something like a chipotle chocolate stout?? Def not a session beer but it could be an interesting experience...

I think I may have to do a smoked chipotle chocolate stout now. Thanks for the idea!

Does the jalapeno actually retain it's "heat" characteristics, as if you were eating a jalapeno?

scotched said:
Does the jalapeno actually retain it's "heat" characteristics, as if you were eating a jalapeno?

From what I've brewed, it does retain some heat-but not as if you ate a jalapeño.

I have a "chile pale ale" that I brew. I just take a pale ale DME kit and add chiles to it. I half two jalapenos and one habanero and sear them then add to a 5 gallon primary, seeds and all. I think I'm going to start smoking the chiles, but this way makes great beer.

It's definitely not a session beer, but it goes great with a meal.

The beer itself was not hot at all, just a tiny amount of heat in the throat right at the finish

I would love to see some recipe's for a smoked jalapeno porter. Something that would be a good base to tweak here and there.

How about a proven recipe? It's in the recipe section:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/jalapeno-cream-ale-131294/ You'll have to convert it to extract.

I've made it and it's awesome. Plenty of others have made it and love it. You add some roasted Jalapeno's to the boil and later some to the secondary. If you and your friend like it a bit more spicy I would go toward the higher end of pepper quantity. I did 4 in the boil with 2 in the secondary...it wasn't spicy enough for me.

Latest posts

Back