Roast my recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwicooms

Reaction score
This is literally my first attempt so be brutal, I would appreciate all the feedback I can get.

11lb 2row
Crystal 40 1lb
Flaked oats .5lb
Carapils .5lb

Magnum 1oz @ 60min
Galaxy 1oz @ 15min
Sauvin 1oz @ 10min
Simcoe 1oz @ 10min
Citra 1oz @ whirlpool

Whirlfloc @ 10min

Safale US05

Sorry, but that makes a sucky porter.

What I'm trying to say is: it's impossible to provide feedback if we don't know the intention of the brew. What are you trying to make? How do you picture the beer, what should it taste like?

Also, you are missing some key stats such as original gravity, IBU, fermentation temperature, mash regimen, ...

This is literally my first attempt so be brutal, I would appreciate all the feedback I can get.

11lb 2row
Crystal 40 1lb
Flaked oats .5lb
Carapils .5lb

Magnum 1oz @ 60min
Galaxy 1oz @ 15min
Sauvin 1oz @ 10min
Simcoe 1oz @ 10min
Citra 1oz @ whirlpool

Whirlfloc @ 10min

Safale US05

Is this your first beer or your first recipe that you've made?

What kind of ipa are you targeting? Seems like west coast but with the oats idk

Sorry, but that makes a sucky porter.

What I'm trying to say is: it's impossible to provide feedback if we don't know the intention of the brew. What are you trying to make? How do you picture the beer, what should it taste like?

Also, you are missing some key stats such as original gravity, IBU, fermentation temperature, mash regimen, ...
Is this your first beer or your first recipe that you've made?

First recipe, I have made about a dozen beers. I am not knowledgable about grains, hops uses and when to use them but I figured if I play about and read about them as I do so I will learn. As long as I create something drinkable I'll be happy for now.

What kind of ipa are you targeting? Seems like west coast but with the oats idk

I'm not going for a specific style of IPA, I just added oats for the mouth feel they should supposedly offer.
I have also revised the recipe to cut the 2row down by 2lb to make it more sessionable. I want to be able to have one or two after work and still be able to do my dangerous job the next day.

I'm not going for a specific style of IPA, I just added oats for the mouth feel they should supposedly offer.
I have also revised the recipe to cut the 2row down by 2lb to make it more sessionable. I want to be able to have one or two after work and still be able to do my dangerous job the next day.
Gotcha. In my experience I would go with this.

11lbs - 2row
1 lb - white wheat
1 lb - carapils
.5 lb - c40

1 oz magnum @ 60
1 oz simcoe @ 10

Hopstand @170 degrees for 20 mins
1oz Citra
1oz Galaxy
1oz Nelson

Dryhop with 3 days to go before you package
1oz Citra
1oz Galaxy
1oz Nelson

+1 on drop the oats. The capils and crystal IMO is a good partner for the 2 row for a classic America, pale ale. FYI BYO Classic APA uses 8.5 lbs of 2 row. I haven’t run your recipe in beerfather to see what your target ABV will be, but your amount caught my eye as well as the post that questioned all that grain and magnum. Consider this and perhaps using hops that aren’t so strong (magnum is good for bitter high grain bill).

personally, I like cascade for an APA along with some Amarillo and Citra. But all the holes mentioned so far are good.

I subscribe to the method to start with a simple recipe and brew it there times to get your process and volumes down no then start upping your game.

strike temp?
tap water?

First recipe, I have made about a dozen beers. I am not knowledgable about grains, hops uses and when to use them but I figured if I play about and read about them as I do so I will learn. As long as I create something drinkable I'll be happy for now.

If you've made some all grain batches before, you'll have a good idea about some of the variables that affect your batch - efficiency, grain absorption, boil off rate, etc. to help with your planning.
Brewing software can also help.

Not specific feedback, but in general, think of it like mixing paint. A clean base, and add a couple pigments and you get a predictable result. Too many pigments and it just looks muddy.

For the first recipe, I'd go with one base, and as mentioned, just a couple specialty malts and a couple hops. Try to taste the grain before you add it and smell the hops (even make a hop tea if you want) before you add them. Taste the water your brew with!
Then taste the beer during and at the end of fermentation.
Take notes.
Write down what flavors you think came from where (some may come from the yeast as it develops, even pay attention to texture). And think about changes for next time.
If you never brew the same thing twice, you'll need to cross compare to really learn what ingredients do what.

Back