Road Trip Brew Tour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primetime

Reaction score
I'm off to see the Brewers, the wonderful brewers of Michigan.
(wizard of oz)

So this weekend, I'm going to Grand Rapids with 6 couples, to take a tour of some fine breweries. 3 of my friends are in a beer club we started (Yeastie Boys). So it should be a awsome time, i'm very excited.
This is how the day will go.

Arrive in GR around 10:30 check in hotel
Get on shuttle bus and head to:
Schmohz 11:00
B.O.B.
Grand Rapids brew company
Founders
Hopcat
Hideout 7:00

I'm the most excited about Founders, because I love there beer.
So my question is there anything special I should know about any of these places, or any of the beers that I have to try? Lets keep in mind that I'm going to have to pace myself.

I will update and post some pictures after this weekend.

IMG_8784.JPG

IMG_8788.JPG

IMG_8792.JPG

IMG_8797.jpg

IMG_8816.JPG

Surprised you are not hitting Bells in Kzoo. I've talked with Larry Bell and he started out a homebrewer, brewing in his basement in MI when it wasn't totally legal. Got tired of looking over his shoulder and went ligit.

Very decent guy.

If it were me Jolly Pumpkin would be a must on the list. If you are at all in to sour beers...this brewery is it. Ron Jefferies is on another plane. He has 2 of GQ's "50 beer to try before you die" on it.

Well for now I'm just hitting Grand Rapids for the weekend, I'm from the east side of the state so its a 2 1/2 hr drive to get there. I plan on knocking out a few more cities later on this summer. The cool thing about this trip is they shuttle you around, and then give you a nice place to stay all for 109 bucks. I do want to hit the jolly pumpkin, and bells for sure some other time.

I just visited Hopcat recently and was very impressed. I grew up in Holland, MI, so I'm semi-partial to west Michigan breweries, especially New Holland. Hopcat is an interesting set up and I was pleasantly surprised to realize this. Not only do they have 50+ beers on tap (beers that I would normally have a pretty rough time finding in Indy) but they also have a small selection of beers that they brew themselves. Founders is fantastic. If the timing is right, their Cerise might be available, which is a cherry beer with outstanding tart cherry flavor.

Is this trip chartered? If so where can you book it, it sounds like a very nice weekend.

The Marriot up there sponsered this trip, I found it online. Not sure when there next one will be, I can check and post an update after this weekend. Cheers!

This is right up my alley. My friend has a place in South Haven and we've been talking about planning a trip to the Grand Rapids area this summer. I'll have to look into this further. Let us know how it goes.

Wow what a weekend.... never thought I could consume so much good beer in the coarse of a weekend. So I will attempt to describe the trip to the best of my abilty.

12:00 Bus dropped us off at Grand Rapids Brewery:
Awsome Food, They had 5 specials for us when we arrived, all of which were excellent looking, and tasting. The deal was 8 bucks for a mug and a sandwich. The beer was average, nothing to write home about. I had the pale ale, and took a sip of the stout. The bar area was small, but cool to hang with friends. They had a mug club, if your a local. Rating: C+

Hideout: This is a unique place, first of all its hidden away off the beaten path. There is a little sign pointing how to get there, I think you could live in the area your whole life and not know it's there. When you walk in the door, the bar area is on the left, with an over hang, that leads to a upstairs level. This place was formally a bath house, they have a big outside area, to throw horse shows, and the bean bag game. The beer here was very good, I would reccomnd the Hazelnut stout on the nitro tap, very impressive. They have a Belgium Triple that also very tastey. This place would be very cool on a nice day after work to hang out. B

Founders: Wow.....This place is a huge beer hall. The bar is 50 feet long, if i had to guess. We walked in at 3:30 and it was packed in there, add anouther 50 people and you can imagine how busy it was. The beer here was amazing. I had the double trouble, which is by far my favorite Double IPA, and my wife tried the Creise Cherry Beer, which is a seasonal beer. Most of the beers avaiable to-go also. The staff was very knowledgable, and took care of everyone as quick as they could. They also had a Citra ale that smelled unbelivable. A-

HopCat: First word that comes to mind is classy. This is a very sharp looking place. Not to metion they have 49 craft beers on draft, and I think they said 200 in the bottle. This is the kind of place I could see myself hanging out at, plus you would never get sick of the beer. The bathroom was also very cool, you must see it for yourself. They also make there own beer here, but there brew area looked more like a storeage area than a brewery. A

B.O.B.: Big old Building. This place has it all, there is a berwery in the basement. They have a club, and a nice restraunt. Plus there a multiable bars scattered throughout. I tried the Tirmisau Stout, it smelled very good,
and was very smooth. My memory gets a little hazey from this point on, I think i tried something else, but I can't confrim that. We took a tour of the brewery, but the guy talking was so boring I had to go back to the bar.
B-

Smohlz: Have you ever walked into a Hick bar, and what do you know it's a brewery?...Well neither did I until I went here. They had a pet Little pig running around everywhere. They gave you free popcorn, and the place was set up like a cafateria, I don't think they even had a bar area. The beer was ok, But I have to wait and review that when I crack open one of the 6 packs I bought. This was my least favorite of the group. C-

So that was my little review, I will try and get some picture up by this weekend.

IMG_8831.JPG

IMG_8825.JPG

IMG_8811.jpg

IMG_8802.jpg

IMG_8785.JPG

Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I ended up calling the hotel and the girl said they didn't have an exact date but since they had such a good turnout for this event they were most likely going to have another one probably late June early July. I can post here if anyone would be interested if and when she contacts me.

Well I frequent the area often and have never been to a couple of those mentioned. I only live about 30 mintues west on the Lakeshore. Anyway I was just in Hopcat Saturday night. We originally had planned to stop for one than move over to Founders which I love and have been to many times. Well after seeing their selection we stayed for a few more. We then went over to the Intersection for a concert.

Been to the BOB many times and it is a lot of fun there. However, for beer pleasure I like Founders and now Hopcat. Both have great beers and very cool buildings.

I believe the Hideout is in a building that used to be a Huba Tuba Hot Tub motel. Two funny. There used to be a brewery in there called Hair of the Frog. Not sure what happened there and how it became the Hideout.

I would rate Founders the best Brewery in GR (at least from the ones I've tried) and probably one of the tops in the state. They took 4 Gold medals at the 2010 World Beer Cup. They make big bears there and they have a lot of them. The tap room is just sweet.

I would rate Hopcat the best bar downtown for beer lovers.

Founders Tap Room:

taproom6.jpg

Now just imagine that bar packed with 300 plus people all having a great time, and enjoying awsome BEER!!! :ban:

Now just imagine that bar packed with 300 plus people all having a great time, and enjoying awsome BEER!!! :ban:

That is the way it usually is. In the summer when the weather is nice the entire front between the patio and the bar is glass garage doors. They open them all up and it is like bringin the outdoors in. Really cool.

That looks like a great time. I went to school not too far from Grand Rapids so I've spent my fair share of time there. The only way to cap that night off would have been with a fifth-third burger at a Whitecaps game.

Latest posts

Back