RO System or pH Meter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bossman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I only have the budget for one right now and am looking for the biggest bang for my buck. From what it looks like, a good pH meter would run about the same or a little less than an RO system.

I'm currently using NYC water run through a carbon filter so I have an OK idea of what I am working with. Unfortunately there are still some pretty broad ranges in the water report so dialing in a water profile isn't possible.

An RO system would take the guess work out my water but setup and maintenance seems like a much bigger hassle than just using a pH meter with my mash and adjusting.

I would go with the RO system. I also check pH's, but I've found that following AJ deLange's guidelines get me very close to the desired pH. I think you will be happy with the results!

My RO system at home was like $170. ive seen PH meters go for far less....

NYC water is suppose to be pretty/very good water. Hardness according to the city for the reservior is 15-30. Its not that far from RO now.
I'd go with the pH meter.

Treat your brew water with Campden to remove the chlorine (and chloramines, if used) 100% within 3 minutes. Carbon filters are much slower or even ineffective doing so.

Whether you need a pH meter is still a choice. Are you suspecting or have any pH related problems?

My nearest grocery store is 20 miles. Are you saying that you can't find a grocery store that sells RO water within a 20 mile radius?

My nearest grocery store is 20 miles. Are you saying that you can't find a grocery store that sells RO water within a 20 mile radius?

And what? haul 10 gallons of RO water on the subway? Or drive in that Manhattan insanity just to get water? :p

Mind you, he could get 5 gallons of RO and cut it with his tap water.

Either way, I'd go PH meter.

+1 on the pH meter. You'll make better beer once you understand how pH and temperature effect enzymatic reactions.

If you live in Manhattan, the water that you're getting is from the Catskill Resevior system; your water is quite soft and suitable for brewing most beers once you've made the correct additions.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/water-profiles/

I've lived in 4/5 boroughs and have always said that NYC water is among the best tasting in the United States. The water out in Long Island is supplied by a different aquifer, and tastes somewhat flat in comparision.

NYC water quality is very typically Pilsen-like in its lack of minerals and alkalinity. Its a great starting point for brewing. A RO machine would do little for your water. The pH meter would be much more useful. If you fear variation in your NYC water quality, I suggest that you also pick up a TDS meter to enable you to observe when the water varies. While you wouldn't necessarily be able to assess which ion concentrations change with the TDS variation, you would be able to correlate your mashing pH performance with TDS variation and bias your calculated pH target one way or the other.

I vote for an RO system and just buying $10 ph meter to go with it... For brewing beer more than .01 accuracy is not needed nor will it provide any benefit. I've had no problems. BTW I also own a $7 TSD meter which also has worked well for the last year or so I've owned it.. It works well to test my RO system as well. I purchased my RO system from "Max water systems" out of buffalo/Toronto on their eBay store for $135 if I remember correctly. And it came with a secondary output with a deionizing filter for my reef tank water. I have had it for almost 3 years and it uses the standard filter sizes. The ph meter I use is one of the Yellow ones

I agree NYC has some pretty good water once you take the chlorine out of it. I don't know if it's a function of living in upper manhattan but it seems like they just add more so there is still some left when it makes it all the way to the lower end. I'm lucky enough to have lived in Milwaukee for several years which is also known for having exceptional water so I may just be more aware of it.

I really appreciate the input from everyone and thanks a lot Martin for chiming in. Seems like my best bet would be the pH meter. Looking forward to stepping this up.

Do you have a water report? That's the first place to start in my opinion.
If you charcoal filter your water, take a sample post-filter and send it to Ward labs. Then do adjustments per brewer's friend (or similar) and it will tell you with amazing accuracy what your PH levels will be.

Im on Long Island and we have similar soft water. I use brewers friend and brun water to estimate pH on most new recipes and find either can be off. Sometimes it is due to user error, sometimes it is a mystery. Only reason I know it is sometimes off (for either reason) is because I have a pH meter and I check pH.

This is especially helpful for recipes I intend to repeat which are becoming more and more common.

Back