Riverbend Malt House

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbohanon

Reaction score
Wanted to share this as I just ordered 2 of their all grain kits (right now they only have a pale ale and french press porter all grain kit) but for their price with free shipping and it being all local malt, I could not pass it up ($24 for both of them shipped which = 10 gallons of beer!)

http://riverbendmalt.com/

I also put them on my list of maltsters to visit next trip through Asheville early in September. If I can get a 55lb bag of their pilsner cheap, I may try to setup a group buy on the NC forums with them for those of us here in the south.
Stay tuned and hopefully their kits are as fresh as I am hearing from others that they are grain-wise.

I just finished up a sack of their pilsner and its good stuff. Doubt Ill be able to get any more anytime soon though...

I just finished up a sack of their pilsner and its good stuff. Doubt Ill be able to get any more anytime soon though...

Mind if I ask what you paid for it? Just curious how their sack price stacks with the LHBS..

Well I got it from a local brewery here that uses them so I doubt the price would be comperable. For a 50lb sack of pilsner I only had to pay $35 with no shipping.

Brewed up their French Press Porter kits this past Sunday (2-5Gal kits as I was brewing a 10 gal batch).
OG was a bit higher due to my systems efficiency being around 90% and the kit being built around approx 75% efficiency but it looked and smelled wonderful and should turn out great.

I actually talked with one of the owners when I called Riverbend as my order got hosed up and he made it right quickly so customer service was excellent!

Here are some pics of the kit as well as brewday pics. Will also post a pic of the finished beer once its tapped and the first glass is pulled. I am planning on cold brewing the local NC coffee house beans that were also provided with the kits and add the coffee to the kegs when I rack it (hence the name "french press" porter..lol).

Back of the bag of kit:
73A85871-376A-4B4B-B7AE-AB8D7C1C5136_zpszonxlzy2.jpg~original

Grains after sparge:
759352BA-3ABB-4B67-BB6D-5B7C458A85B8_zpsrwnyeyqe.jpg~original

Wort at full boil:
B5EF9A4A-9CFB-4366-ABB4-617AD2A9DA12_zpstpyu9t2f.jpg~original

Wrapping up boil and fixing to chill:
D20B5614-5C95-4335-8BAC-CFFA6AB07B09_zpsaafprxjr.jpg~original

I'm a big fan of Riverbend.
I bought a sack of their pale malt for $40 at the malt house once.
The owners are awesome guys. Pretty cool operation they have going.

How did it compare to other malts? Would you say it’s one of the best?

I haven't brewed with it but did sample a bunch of hot-steeped malt (using the ASBC procedure developed by Briess) and spent a while talking to em at CBC last year. Grains smelled delicious (don't remember which) and they seemed to be knowledgeable and take it seriously (can't say that for all "craft" malt houses).

Ive brewed riverbend 3x. I love their select two row and Appalachian Wheat. I havent tried any of their other grains yet
Nice! What did you brew? What did you like about? Are the flavors different than malt from say avangard or briess?

Nice! What did you brew? What did you like about? Are the flavors different than malt from say avangard or briess?
I haven't done enough brews with avangard. Briess is my usual standard. I went with Riverbend for a hefeweizen. I love its taste. But have not made another hefe with other grains. The biggest problem ive had is getting the right crush on the smaller wheat grains. Plus I learned the hard way the need for rice hulls!

What is the current pricing, I may make a drive up to Ashville and make a stop by White Labs while I am there also.

An update. I just got off the phone with Riverbend and due to tax law issues they are no longer able to sell to homebrewers from their warehouse. and directed me to:

Asheville Brewers Supply
https://ashevillebrewers.com/
(828) 358-3536

What is the current pricing, I may make a drive up to Ashville and make a stop by White Labs while I am there also.

Was corresponding with Tedd from ABS recently and he said sacks of Riverbend are $74.50, so $1.49/lb. He did mention to me that it'd be prudent to give them a few days or week of lead time to make sure they have certain items in stock, although I'm traveling from about an hour out.

Was corresponding with Tedd from ABS recently and he said sacks of Riverbend are $74.50, so $1.49/lb. He did mention to me that it'd be prudent to give them a few days or week of lead time to make sure they have certain items in stock, although I'm traveling from about an hour out.
Yeah it’s a great deal!

Back