Risk of Bacteria?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondybrew

Reaction score
1st brew

recipe - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easiest-beer-i-have-ever-made-recipe-208450/

6:30pm
So I was about to add my boiled wort to the fermenter with chilled water, when I noticed little floaties in the fermenter. The fermenter had been sitting with bleach solution for over an hour, but I didn't want to dump it in with the dust or crap that was now discovered. It could've come from the water jugs (store bought reverse-osmosis drinking water).

I decided not to add the wort. I cleaned out and sanitized the fermenter and ran to the store to get two more gallons of water. I added the two gallons of room temperature water.

Now, the problem was I couldn't get the temperature down to pitch the yeast. I left it uncovered for 3 hours in an ice and cold water bath in the sink. (I might add that the sink is not deep, it wasn't even half way up the fermenter bucket.)

9:30pm
I got it down to 72º and pitched the Safale yeast, which specified pitching temperature at 75º and below. I took a hydrometer reading, closed the lid, and let it do its thing.

This morning, its bubbling no problem, Every 3-5 sec.

Is there still a risk of bacteria that will ravage my beer?

It is prbably fine. The only thing that you should probably change is finding a deeper place to make the cooling bath so you can cool it faster, and don't leave it uncovered during the cooling. Why did you leave it uncovered anyway?

I left it uncovered to cool faster. I realize that was not wise. The fermenter is now at a constant bubble.

Wort is sterilized (not sanitized) from the boil so it can take a long time for bacteria to get established in wort.

With the volume of yeast we pitch, even without a starter, the number of yeast cells will overtake just about anything in the wort, even if it has sat for several hours.

If you were to dump in a vial of bacteria in your wort then you may have something to worry about.

If I may suggest, a wort chiller should be one of the next equipment purchases to make. A simple IC chiller can save you lots of time and potential stress! Making one yourself, if so inclined, can also be kind of fun!!

Wort is sterilized (not sanitized) from the boil so it can take a long time for bacteria to get established in wort.

Your broader point is correct, but boiling isn't actually sufficient for sterilization. A relevant quote from wikipedia's sterilization page:

Wikipedia said:
Boiling in water for fifteen minutes will kill most vegetative bacteria and inactivate viruses, but boiling is ineffective against prions and many bacterial and fungal spores; therefore boiling is unsuitable for sterilization. However, since boiling does kill most vegetative microbes and viruses, it is useful for reducing viable levels if no better method is available. Boiling is a simple process, and is an option available to most people, requiring only water, enough heat, and a container that can withstand the heat; however, boiling can be hazardous and cumbersome.

OP, get a box of kosher salt. Add some salt to your ice-water cooling bath, and you'll get better thermal exchange due to the ice melting faster. I've been getting my wort chilled this way almost as fast as with an IC.;)

Back