Washington RIP Larry's Brewing Supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly the south of Seattle area is losing a long standing LHBS - Larry's Brewing Supply in Tukwila (formerly in Kent.)

"We are sad to inform you that Larry’s Brewing Supply will be closing our doors after 26 years. As many of you know Larry’s has come into financial difficulty over the last several months, and after exhausting all our options we are forced to close.

The support we have had over the years from this industry has been amazing! We will take with us all the memories we have shared.

Starting Monday, March 13th our close out sale will begin. Everything will be ½ off. We ask that you come by to get what you want or just to say goodbye in person.

Thanks,

Vance"​

http://www.larrysbrewsupply.com/

This also leaves my club, the Impaling Alers, looking for a new home.

But, we must...

Brew on :mug:

Larry's will be missed. I bought my first setup there. The staff is knowledgable and helpful.

I feel like homebrewing has never been more popular. Is demand really lower than I thought?

Larry's will be missed. I bought my first setup there. The staff is knowledgable and helpful.

I feel like homebrewing has never been more popular. Is demand really lower than I thought?

I don't think demand was an issue. I don't feel that a public forum is an appropriate place to discuss what went wrong with a privately held small business, unless the principals are involved in the discussion.

I don't think demand was an issue. I don't feel that a public forum is an appropriate place to discuss what went wrong with a privately held small business, unless the principals are involved in the discussion.

Enough said, I'm not interested in their private affairs. This is just shocking news.

I heard this through the grape vine about a week ago myself.
My store in Everett is suffering a decline in business they said as well the internet is hurting that nitch. , so to everyone here I know online shopping is often cheaper and easier but please consider still supporting your LHBS when ever you can before its gone. Having grains shipped sucks.

It really does suck ive been going to larry's for about 7 years , while i admit ive gotten grains online what are the options for south seattle now?

It really does suck ive been going to larry's for about 7 years , while i admit ive gotten grains online what are the options for south seattle now?

One current option is Sound Homebrew Supply:
6505 5th Pl S, Seattle, WA 98108 (Georgetown)
soundhomebrew.com
(206) 743-8074​
Haven't been there yet myself.

Another, still in the works, is Jon's Homebrew & Wine Supply coming to Puyallup (http://jonshomebrew.com/). Jon is a good guy who worked at Larry's, so I hope this works out for him.

There is also The Beer Essentials
2624 112th St. S. #E-1
Lakewood, WA. 98499
thebeeressentials.com
(253) 581-4288​
Never been there either.

Good to know .I live in Lake tapps /bonney lake area so jons will be my new go to shop.

beer essentials is an alright place it was always a toss up between larry's and them, Larry was always my favorite though.

thanks much

One current option is Sound Homebrew Supply:
6505 5th Pl S, Seattle, WA 98108 (Georgetown)
soundhomebrew.com
(206) 743-8074​
Haven't been there yet myself.

Another, still in the works, is Jon's Homebrew & Wine Supply coming to Puyallup (http://jonshomebrew.com/). Jon is a good guy who worked at Larry's, so I hope this works out for him.

There is also The Beer Essentials
2624 112th St. S. #E-1
Lakewood, WA. 98499
thebeeressentials.com
(253) 581-4288​
Never been there either.

I have shopped at Sound Homebrew. Staff is knowledgeable, although can be a bit haughty at times. Not sure where prices stack up as I haven't shopped around. Extract kits range from $30-55 it seems. They have grain and a mill as well as all the usual stuff.

I've made the trip to Beer Essentials, they've got good prices and a decent selection. Very helpful as well. Sound is a bit pricier but back when I was doing only kits they were the closest that had them. Will be visiting Jon's tomorrow to get ingredients for Sundays brew day. I'm glad he has the recipe files from Larry's. I haven't seen his prices yet but will be happy to see him, the first time I was at Larry's he went out of his way to make sure I got what I needed.

I'll have to give Jon's place a try - I'm in South Hill.

We're pretty lucky in the south end, with good LHBS readily available.

Latest posts

Back