RIP Billy Mays

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned very early that advertising budget and product quality are inversely related. Any product that needs to be pitched by someone like Mays, is off my list.

I've been impressed with OxiClean and ShamWow, personally. I don't think your rule always applies.

Oh, and my uncle is the pitchman for Foodsaver---one of the most useful products in my kitchen.

I learned very early that advertising budget and product quality are inversely related. Any product that needs to be pitched by someone like Mays, is off my list.

For the msot part I would say that is true but not always. Oxyclean and shamwow are both great products, but so is the foodsaver, aerogarden and a couple kitchenaid products that they do infomercials for. i think Rain-x used to do them too. There are others as well but those are just the ones that I own and can atest to.

Oh, and add Mighty Putty to that list. I've been using that stuff to fill in gouges...we actually flipped the handing on a door and Mighty Putty was a life saver when it came to filling in the places where the old hinge plates used to be. I dunno if I'd use it for a coffee cup handle like Billy did, but it's great for infill around the house. I always keep some in my workshop now.

Yeah, I heard this as well and could not believe it. All kidding aside, he was a great pitchman, and appeared to be a pretty fun loving good guy. Many small companies have him to think for their success. RIP Billy.

As for high dollar advertising. I don't think the inverse correlation is true. Now high pressure sales like buyDirect.com and rainbow vacuum cleaners are something I will agree with. You could always change the channel on Billy :).

I was going to say how much mighty putty is crap. It is only epoxy putty that you can get in the plumbing section of home depot for A LOT less than what they are selling "mighty putty" for. Same product just remarketed and quadrupled the price.

Now that I think more on it the sadder I become. As I said earlier, I hated his commercials. I have now come to realise that it is not true. I loved to hate them, and that is an entirely different thing.

Billy Mays was America in a jar. He was the attitude and enthusiasm that made America what it is.....And it sold! He was more American than apple pie.

I will genuinely miss him.

Now that I think more on it the sadder I become. As I said earlier, I hated his commercials. I have now come to realise that it is not true. I loved to hate them, and that is an entirely different thing.

Billy Mays was America in a jar. He was the attitude and enthusiasm that made America what it is.....And it sold! He was more American than apple pie.

I will genuinely miss him.

I'm more upset about him than any of the others that died recently.

I was going to say how much mighty putty is crap. It is only epoxy putty that you can get in the plumbing section of home depot for A LOT less than what they are selling "mighty putty" for. Same product just remarketed and quadrupled the price.

I've never seen epoxy putty at lowes (no HD here)...but if they have it, kudos to you. :mug:

I've got it at lowes too. Just check in the plumbing section. It should be right next to the flux and solder and pipe cutters. I'm not 100% positive that it is the same stuff but it sure as hell looks like it. Is the mighty putty basiclly 1 putty as a core inside of a "tube" of a different colored putty? Does it kind of stink too?

If we are talking about products here, then Billy Mays products were all very good of those that I have used (After they got off TV and into Walmart) . They work well. The same can't be said for that English dick with his stupid plastic light bulbs.

I've heard that gardening hole digger thing that went on a drill worked pretty damn well too.

I've got it at lowes too. Just check in the plumbing section. It should be right next to the flux and solder and pipe cutters. I'm not 100% positive that it is the same stuff but it sure as hell looks like it. Is the mighty putty basiclly 1 putty as a core inside of a "tube" of a different colored putty? Does it kind of stink too?
That's the stuff. It's plumbers epoxy/plumbers putty.

Yeah. I'll look for it next time. If so, and it's a lot cheaper, I owe you a beer, good sir!

Hell I probably have a tube of it at home that I could just send you if you can't find it. I bought a bunch of it a few years ago and still have a tube or two that I havent used in forever.

OxyClean = great product.

His dye job = the most ridiculous thing on TV!

Nonetheless, if I had a product, I would have been a very happy guy if Billy had pitched it.

Back