RIP 1st year centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyb85

Reaction score
I went to check on my hops this morning and found my centennial plant all shriveled and brown. It was fine on fri/sat. I think someone stepped on it by accident. There was some pretty clear damage to the plant near where the bine emerges from the ground. However any thoughts otherwise would be nice to maybe I can protect my cascade a little better

image-1155549266.jpg

image-371007002.jpg

Sorry for your loss Matt. Hopefully it is resilient and sends up another shoot. Looks like you have at least one good leaf still. Don't give up hope!

Yeah there is still one healthy leaf. Should I trim down the dead bine and hope for it to shoot up again?

So I think the diagnosis is that someone stepped on it. The bine was split almost like a reed when it's too dry. There's still a healthy leaf below the break so I trimmed the dead plant and ill give it some nutrient and hopefully the root system still grows.

I imagine it will spring back to life. Good thing is you wouldn't get much out of this year anyhow. Can you put some chicken wire around it or something similar?

Yeah I bought some to keep out rabbits/dogs but i was going to put it up this weekend. Too late obviously :-( hopefully it will survive

Latest posts

Back