Second Year Centennial and Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMH5

Reaction score
I have never harvested any cones from my plants. Last year they produced ten cones... combined. This year will be a bounty. My Centennials look very close to ready and my Cascades look maybe a week behind them. My question is that my bines are still forming new cones as well as have many nearly ripe and pickable cones. Do people harvest all their hops at the same time or just pick the ripe cones (ones that are browning at the tips) as you go?

Commercial growers harvest them all at once. I hear home growers often pick in multiple batches.

I have never harvested any cones from my plants. Last year they produced ten cones... combined. This year will be a bounty. My Centennials look very close to ready and my Cascades look maybe a week behind them. My question is that my bines are still forming new cones as well as have many nearly ripe and pickable cones. Do people harvest all their hops at the same time or just pick the ripe cones (ones that are browning at the tips) as you go?

I've been wondering the same thing - a few of my Centennial were probably past ripe (already picked), while others on the same bines are definitely too green.
In to watch more responses!

Back