rinsing equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
how do you guys rinse equipment that has been used (fermenter, mash tun)? i keep reading/hearing that you should not rinse your equipment with chlorinated (tap) water, due to possible off flavor of plastic or medicinal. how am i suppose to clean it? i already use distilled w/ minerals for adjustment for brewing. not sure how else to clean my equipment since i rinse typically with a hose outside or in the bath tub with hot water.

Washing/cleaning/rinsing with tap water is fine, as long as anything going to come into contact with future brew is properly sanitized before brewing..... I used bleach as a sanitizer for years, would let it soak, rinse, dry.....have switched to StarSan, no rinsing required.....great stuff....but, yeah, tap water is fine for cleaning/rinsing....hell, I brew with it :)

Chlorine will dissipate on its own fairly quickly. Chloramines take longer.

Like fuelish, I rinse *and* brew with tab water.

I have been throwing a campden tablet in the mash water as I heat lately to get rid of any chloramines but otherwise, I don't worry about my tap water.

I use tap water from the hose. I have a RV filter, when I am rinsing stuff that uses sanitizer, I switch the RV filter on.

I did an article on cleaning FV's recently. After soaking things clean, I rinse'em with tap water. Then sanitize before storage if I can't get them dried out well. FV's get sanitized before storage & right before use.

Like everybody else, I rinse with tap water and air dry. I never really sanitize before storage. I just make sure It's clean and sanitized before use..

Sanitizing then storing is a waste of time and sanitizer.

I rinse or clean as necessary with tap water. I have never worried about the water an have had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back