RIMS Wizard knockoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerpike1748

Reaction score
I've been building this guy since November, and I finally got the parts and time to take it on a test drive. The RIMS wizard by sabco was my inspiration. However, the price was through the roof. I was able to build this contraption and have enough left over to purchase the brew pots in the pic.

More pics and build list to come. I owe this forum and some folks in this forum a big thank you.

Cheers.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392400160.897758.jpg

I built this system so I can do 10 gallon no sparge batches. I was going for something simple, and I needed it to be modular since I brew outside.

Big thanks to angrymonk. I bought his 120V controller off of him 3 months ago. (link). I ended up switching the heat sink out for an external one, added a relay for the pump, and I changed a little bit of the wiring. It worked perfectly right outta the box, but I thought I'd try and get my hands dirty doing some of it on my own. Really learned a lot while doing the rewiring!

System Info:
2" RIMS tube from brewers hardware
- 4500w lwd stainless heating element
- 4" RTD prob from auberins.com
- 1/2" inlet and outlet with cam locks
stainless chugger pump
2 ft werner ladder as my RIMS tube stand
20" tall werner platform ladder as my burner/brew pot stand
14" burners from homebrewing.org
20 gal boilermaker mash tun
25 gallon brew pot from homebrewing.org

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392735860.525338.jpg

Did the propane test on Sunday. I had 15 gallons in each kettle, and got both to a boil. I'm glad the platform was capable of holding all the hardware plus 30 gallons of water.

Have you been able to do any no-sparge batches yet? I'm finishing up a RIMS tube and bottom drain keggle MT conversion so I can give the no-sparge a try. I'm wondering about your efficiency with the method.

Looks good too ;)

Fist crack at it will be this weekend (fingers crossed!) I'm brewing a dry stout with a target OG of 1.043 @ 70% efficiency. I'll post brew day pics and how things turned out.

Good news! My first brew day with this contraption is complete. Pre-boil gravity was right on the money, but my boil off rate and trub loss estimates weren't right. All that being said, I hit my gravity but missed the 10 gallon mark by about a quart.

General notes on the day:

1. Setup and clean up took longer than desired. This is probably due to me learning the system. Any recommendations you guys have to cleaning out a 20 gal Blichmann MLT and a RIMS tube, please lemme know!

2. The 120V RIMS tube did a great job at maintaining temperature. Ramping up and down on ~15 gallons of wort/grains is a little too much to ask for this guy. I figured I would need to use the propane burner to ramp temp, so this was expected. Using just a little bit of fire, I stepped up from 151 to 168 mash out in about 25 minutes.

3. See pic below on the grains left in the mash tun after I drained it. During the mash I stirred it a few times, but i'm not sure if my re circulation method is causing this hump in the middle. Right now I recirc through a loc-line. I might be "swirling" too much with my recirc causing the mound of grains.

4. With all the water running through this system, I think I need to build a guard for the chugger pump. Just as a CYA.

5. One photo shows the RIMS tube and stand broken down and in storage. The next pic is of the RIMS tube and stand put together.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

That's awesome. Do you have a cost breakout by chance? I know I'm being lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I purposely didn't keep records of how much this build costed, or I'd have thrown up in my mouth. Here are some estimates:

Rough Estimates:

PID Controller - ~300
RIMS Tube - 250
Hoses, camlocks, loc-line - 150
Blichmann 20 gal mash tun - 500
burners - 150
werner ladders - 100
25 gallon brew kettle - 180
chugger pump - 125

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

That made me laugh aloud. Thanks for the ball park, and I'm sorry to ask you to relive it.

Different Q., why go all out with the blichmann on the mash tun and not BK? Didn't know if I'm missing anything.

I couldn't afford both Blichmann mash tun and boil kettle, so I chose my mashtun to be blichmann.

To me, a Blichmann set up as a boil kettle doesn't have any advantages than other boil kettles. The advantages lie in the mash tun IMHO.
1. Graduated volumes on the sight glass. I don't need that on a boil kettle, but it's great to have on my mash tun. Since all of my water starts in the mash tun, having the volumes on the sight glass was a big deal.
2. The false bottom is pretty great in the mash tun. I think it works well, even though I appear to have a channeling problem. I think I can fix that with a different return from the RIMS. Not needed for a boil kettle.
3. built in thermometer. Great for a mash tun, but not needed in a boil kettle. It's boiling, so I know the temp is ~212F.
4. My boil kettle is 25 gallons, so I can jump to 15 gallon batches if I want to start batch/fly sparging. The only equivalent to that is a 30 gallon blichmann which is big $$$. My boil kettle only cost me $180.

1 brew day down, and another one planned. My first brew was a blond ale with an OG of 1.044. I mashed at 151F for about 75 minutes. After one week, I'm already down to 1.01 using US-05 yeast.

This next one one will be an IPA that is on the lower end of the scale. I'm considering mashing a little bit higher considering what happened with the previous brew. If I can replicate my brewhouse efficiencies, then I think I've got this thing figured out. I ended up changing my mash recirc to fix the hypothesized channeling. It has two outlets instead of one. I'll try to post a pic of the new recirc line from brew day.

Back